Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Beginner looking for Help! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/beginner-looking-help-54612/)

LexCorp 10-31-2010 12:50 PM

Beginner looking for Help!

Hello,

Amazing site by the way! I am very new to fish keeping. I have had goldfish etc in the past but that was when I was a kid and had no idea that you had to do more than throw the fish in water. So I don't count that as experience! Therefore I am a beginner looking to provide the best environment for my fish! I setup a 10 gallon tank with a bubble stone, filter, and heater. I've been keeping my tank at about 75* F.

I have two live plants, a small cave, and some smaller fake plants to try and provide shade/hiding.

Currently in the tank is a small Silver Dollar, a Bloodfin Tetra, and a Neon Tetra. They all seem to be doing well so far. I purchased them at my local Petco where the associate advised me that with these fish my tank would be full. However I've been reading on this site and others that there are bottom-dwellers and fish that like mid-levels of the tanks etc.

I would like to pick up a small Panda Cory and an Albino Cory. Also maybe 2 more Neon Tetra to keep the other one company. Would this be overcrowding my tank?

Also is there anything else I should do to make the best environment for my fish?

Thank you for any advice/tips!

james7139 10-31-2010 01:03 PM

in my opinion get 6 of one type of cory and get 5 more neons,also maybe think about returning the bloodfin and silver dollar as they are schooling fish and you wont have room for 3 schools of top dwelling fish

thefishboy 10-31-2010 01:43 PM

Silver dollar should be removed it will groe to large for your tank...

burnsbabe 10-31-2010 05:38 PM

Yes. In a 10 gallon I'd decided on either the Bloodfin or the Neon and grow that group to six. Return the other two, especially the Silver Dollar. They get a lot bigger than a silver dollar.

You can then go ahead and do your group of corys. Find a type you like and stick to a group of six of the same species.

As for improving the environment, it sounds like the tank is a bit sparsely decorated. I' a big planted tank person and tend to pack mine full of plants. Obvi I can see it though, so use your best judgement.

LexCorp 10-31-2010 06:16 PM

Thank you very much for the help guys. It's very appreciated!!!

Darn, I wish the guy at the store informed my that my Silver Dollar would grow too big. :( Such a neat fish. Oh well, I think I have a friend who will be more than willing to adopt him. She has a 33 gallon tank. (I can't wait to learn more and hopefully get a big tank like that someday! :D ).

Okay, I think I'm going to stick with the Bloodfin Tetra and try to build up a school of five or six. I ran to the store today and picked up two Emerald Green Corys, since they only had two left. But I'm going to keep checking in to hopefully get at least 2 more in as soon as I can. I also got another live plant while I was there too!

james7139 10-31-2010 06:25 PM

pics and what typ of plant

but pics are more important

LexCorp 10-31-2010 08:40 PM

Sadly no pics yet.

But I got a Gold Ribbon plant at the store. Then I googled the name after and saw a couple sites saying this plant is not actually aquatic?!! :shock:
The pet store had it in a container labeled aquatic, with a fish on it. Talk about false advertising!

Is this true? I want to make sure before I remove the plants.

burnsbabe 10-31-2010 08:47 PM

It's surprisingly common for unscrupulous dealers to sell semi-aquatic plants as fully aquatic. If they aren't really aquatic, they tend to turn brown and mushy and dirty your water after a few months at best. I'd do more research.

LexCorp 10-31-2010 08:56 PM

Wow, that's terrible. I don't see the point of selling a customer somehthing they do not want...but whatever. Guess I'll have to be more careful and know exactly what plant I went next time I go out which will be soon now.

Any tips on good plants for a 10gall tank?

james7139 10-31-2010 09:05 PM

java moss,wisteria,duckweed,Most anubias,most stem plants.

i bet your fish store has anacharis for sale.its pretty much the most common plant.

check this link: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/profiles/#freshwater-plants