Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New To TFK. My 55 Gallon set up and Stock List. Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tfk-my-55-gallon-set-54506/)

LuckyFish1988 10-29-2010 10:27 AM

New To TFK. My 55 Gallon set up and Stock List. Suggestions?

Hi. My name is Mike. Im new to the forums. Thought I would put my stock list up for suggestions on adding/ taking away fish/ other things from the tank. It is a 55 gallon long. Naturally bright white gravel substrate with a rock (sand stone?) cave formation I put together, two taller leafy artificial plants and artificial grass all over the bottom the the tank. I have an AquaClear 300/70 filter. And a heater I keep the water temp at about 81 degrees. The fish I have in the tank are: 8 Red Eye Tetras, 6 Zebra Danios, 6 Khuli Loaches, 1 Golden Ram, and 1 Blue Ram. Adding a Wood Shrimp in a week or so. I am cycling a 29 gallon tank for my sons room and I was thinking maybe putting the 8 tetras in there and starting a fresh more colorful school in my 55. Any suggestions on anything what so ever would be cool. Maybe more aeration? I was thinking just the AquaClear alone isn't enough? Thank You

redchigh 10-29-2010 10:31 AM

Aquariums are generally "over filtered". I think your filtration is plenty with a moderate stock load.

I'm be impressed if your loaches or rams don't devour the shrimp (piece by piece, no less.)

What's your ph?

LuckyFish1988 10-29-2010 10:56 AM

Really? Guess I wont be getting a wood shrimp then. O YEA i just remembered because I NEVER see them. But I have 10 ghost shrimp in the tank too.

redchigh 10-29-2010 11:01 AM

Hmm. You could try if you want to then...

I'm not sure I would risk it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Calmwaters 10-29-2010 11:16 AM

Hi there welcome to the forum! I love Blue Rams and I would love to have a few but my waters Ph is to high for them. Have you thought about Brilliant Rummy Nose Tetra? They have the same type of requirements as the rams and look very pretty in a group.

burnsbabe 10-29-2010 10:26 PM

From your description I'd think about adding a second heater, not because the first one can't do the job, but because with two you get more even heat distribution and neither works as hard. What wattage are you using right now? My 55 has two 200w heaters, one near the intake, and one, the outflow.

If you're moving the Red-Eye Tetras I'd look into Congo Tetras. They're beautiful, especially if you can find some really high quality stock. You said it was a 55 long (more than 4' or just the standard 4?) and they like the swimming room.

LuckyFish1988 11-04-2010 08:04 AM

Alright so now I got all the Danio's and Tetra's out of the tank...I'm down to the two rams (1 Golden, 1 Blue), 10 ghost shrimp, 6 Khuli Loaches. Im not sure if there is a difference between a Blue Ram and German Blue Ram but my regular Blue isnt very blue at all lol but i'm thinking maybe the white gravel is flooding his color out. Im researching to see how many Ram's I can put together because the golden ram I have looks amazing up close. I'm also researching what other colorful sporty fish I can add. I was looking into maybe some sort of snail. Kind of lost lol

Byron 11-04-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyFish1988 (Post 506138)
Alright so now I got all the Danio's and Tetra's out of the tank...I'm down to the two rams (1 Golden, 1 Blue), 10 ghost shrimp, 6 Khuli Loaches. Im not sure if there is a difference between a Blue Ram and German Blue Ram but my regular Blue isnt very blue at all lol but i'm thinking maybe the white gravel is flooding his color out. Im researching to see how many Ram's I can put together because the golden ram I have looks amazing up close. I'm also researching what other colorful sporty fish I can add. I was looking into maybe some sort of snail. Kind of lost lol

This is a 4-foot 55g tank, so you have room for more rams. There is only one "species," it is Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, you can see info on it by clicking on the shaded name which will take you to the profile on this site [profiles are under the second tab from the left in the blue bar across the top of the screen]. There are several artificial colour morphs, but the fish is still the same "fish" in terms of behaviours, requirements, etc.

Males are territorial and will stake out their territory in the tank. Arranging wood and plants to provide small areas is advantageous; the fish need to have "privacy" so they cannot see the others when they are in their territory, so to speak. A pair will bond and the male will defend the female from other males (and often any other fish, esp at spawning), and spawning will occur easily with healthy fish. I would not have more than 3 males in a 55g, and they should have females, so a pair, or two pairs, or three pairs total.

You will need "dither" fish above, to help them overcome their natural insecurity. Medium sized tetra, rasbora, hatchetfish will work. Nothing too active, as this unsettles these cichlids which are relatively sedate fish.

Byron.

LuckyFish1988 11-04-2010 05:13 PM

Thank you very much. How do i tell if they are male or female? and could i put in some key hole cichlids too?