Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   DIY Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/)
-   -   Custom Reef Lighting (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/custom-reef-lighting-54490/)

badxgillen 10-29-2010 01:53 AM

Custom Reef Lighting

its time to brighten my horizons...I have T6s on my 55 nano reef aquarium and wanted to bump up the lighting as a couple of the bulbs are about to burn out anyways...i have decided on combining T5 HOs with VHOs in one 48 inch fixture....i am not concerned with looks as i am efficiency....i have an old broken down shop light that i will use as the reflector and to house the bulbs...thought this might help some others out there who cant afford the metal halides...i will keep you all posted soon...

1077 10-29-2010 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 502237)
its time to brighten my horizons...I have T6s on my 55 nano reef aquarium and wanted to bump up the lighting as a couple of the bulbs are about to burn out anyways...i have decided on combining T5 HOs with VHOs in one 48 inch fixture....i am not concerned with looks as i am efficiency....i have an old broken down shop light that i will use as the reflector and to house the bulbs...thought this might help some others out there who cant afford the metal halides...i will keep you all posted soon...

Just be sure that the ballast's will handle the bulbs you use. Often times ballast's are recommended for a particular type and particualr number of bulbs.
I learned this while attempting to install a dual T5 bulb arrangement with a ballast that was only recommended for one bulb.

badxgillen 10-29-2010 12:07 PM

yeah

thanks i have heard of this so i am getting ballasts and lights i have seen in operation on other DIY and in manufactured fixtures...i am thinking a 14000K daylight T5HO with a 420nm Actinic T5HO then doing 2 65 watt 50-50 bulbs between them...this should be comparable to a halide...i hope...thanks again it is nice to learn from others mishaps...

badxgillen 10-31-2010 03:57 PM

ballast 1

1 Attachment(s)
awww yeah my T5 HO ballast ....i am gonna do a 420 actinic and a 10000-14000K daylight combo...ontop of 65 watt 4pins....here i go...

badxgillen 10-31-2010 03:59 PM

water

1 Attachment(s)
gots to have the waterproof end caps ...prolong the salt creep...looking pretty nice...

badxgillen 10-31-2010 05:54 PM

ground

i am having grounding issues with my other ballast...it does not have a ground wire but says it requires one...my friend says to add a ground to the ballast itself and that should cover it...i have not done this before and wouldnt be happy if i burnt out my ballast...it seems feasable...ya there bear...

bearwithfish 10-31-2010 08:31 PM

no no no dont call on bear for electronics.... LOL i swear every time i touch something with voltage i get juiced.....
my old lights were not "custom Built" they were scavenged and re purposed LOL all the electronic stuff done

badxgillen 11-02-2010 01:14 AM

ballast

1 Attachment(s)
got my 65 watt ballast attached to the top of the reflector...in hopes to disperse heat more effectivly...i might put this fixture into a canopy with a fan but that is for another project...

badxgillen 11-02-2010 01:17 AM

bulbs

1 Attachment(s)
here are a couple of the bulbs....i am doimg two 65 watt 10000 K daylights...and two 54 watt T5VO bulbs one 420nm actinic...all in the shop light fixture...thats 238 watts of custom mixed light...i want some LEDs too...

badxgillen 11-02-2010 01:20 AM

Grounding

1 Attachment(s)
i think i got my ground issue cleared up..unless someone else has a better idea...i wrapped a wire from the ballast corner screw itself and linked it to the ground wire to the plug...ghetto but hey its what i got....