Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   How did you first start doing saltwater? Anecdotes? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/how-did-you-first-start-doing-54430/)

Caliban 10-28-2010 03:28 AM

How did you first start doing saltwater? Anecdotes?

I'm curious, as a beginner to fish in general, how all those experienced saltwater keepers out there got started. What size was your first tank? Whad did you have in it? Was it a disaster or a success? What makes you proud thinking back on it? Do you have regrets? Did you keep freshwater fish beforehand, if so, for how long? Have any pictures floating around of your first tank? Is your first tank still around? I'm excited to hear stories!

Hannah

bearwithfish 10-28-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caliban (Post 501631)
I'm curious, as a beginner to fish in general, how all those experienced saltwater keepers out there got started. What size was your first tank? Whad did you have in it? Was it a disaster or a success? What makes you proud thinking back on it? Do you have regrets? Did you keep freshwater fish beforehand, if so, for how long? Have any pictures floating around of your first tank? Is your first tank still around? I'm excited to hear stories!

Hannah

first salty tank was a 29gallon
what was in it? - a wonderful mix of the wrong stock LOL
total disaster as it crashed but the nice thing about a crash is you learn a lot of valuable things to help in the future....

regrets.... yeah i guess you could say i regret a few things 1st not doing enough research 2nd not listening to more experienced reefers when i has planning. and 3rd not starting with the larger tank i ended with!!

i kept FW for a few years before hand and still do

if you look at my build thread you will see pix of the old, and the new and the progression up to now..

Caliban 10-28-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearwithfish (Post 501662)
first salty tank was a 29gallon
what was in it? - a wonderful mix of the wrong stock LOL
total disaster as it crashed but the nice thing about a crash is you learn a lot of valuable things to help in the future....

regrets.... yeah i guess you could say i regret a few things 1st not doing enough research 2nd not listening to more experienced reefers when i has planning. and 3rd not starting with the larger tank i ended with!!

i kept FW for a few years before hand and still do

if you look at my build thread you will see pix of the old, and the new and the progression up to now..

Does a particularly disastrous member of your stock come to mind? An eel that ate everything, perhaps?