Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   My new Black Swordtail pictures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/my-new-black-swordtail-pictures-54426/)

eileen 10-28-2010 01:18 AM

My new Black Swordtail pictures

3 Attachment(s)
I went to Petco in my area that carries a bigger selection of freshwater and saltwater fish. They had Black Swordtails. They only had 1 male and it was old and did not look good so I did not get it. I ending up getting 2 small ones. I went home and one was missing it's eye. I was not sure if it was born that way. I called the store and took it back and got another one as I did not want one with one eye.

They have a glittery blue to their body. Most local fish stores do not carry black swordtails. I'm hoping to put them with my Orca platies. I ended up rehoming one of the Orcas as it had alot of muted yellow on it's body and the other 3 are really black which is what I wanted.

The swordtails and platies take along time up to 8 months to 1 year to mature and tell them apart. Maybe the 2 Black Swordtails I got today will be pregnate as their was 1 male black swordtail in that tank and might have been more as people were buying them. The fish guy told me that they sell out really fast or maybe one will turn into a male and get a sword later.I have them in a QT tank for a couple of weeks. I feed immune booster flakes for 1 wk. and then dewormer flakes for 1 wk. that I got at angelsplus on-line just to be safe before adding them to my main tank.

kald 10-28-2010 09:21 AM

Nice. I miss having my black swords. I might need to go and buy another again.

buckmanrules 10-28-2010 07:14 PM

I breed about 8 different varities of swords but have never tried Blacks. You were right to take the one with only one eye back. Glad they took care of you! Believe it or not swords can change sex after the fact. You might just get a male as nature wants them to make young. Good luck! Have fun!

eileen 10-28-2010 08:49 PM

I always thought that was a not true about swordtails changing sex. I hope you are right though. I will mix the 2 black swordtails with my 3 black Orca like platies. It would be interesting to see how the fry would come out with this mix Black Platies/Black Swordtails.

Romad 10-29-2010 08:24 AM

They are really cute fish. I love those little flecks of blue coloring.

Good luck.

AaronCombs 10-30-2010 01:35 AM

buckmanrules is right on the changing of sex...

I confirmed this when I took 10 females with only 1 male.... I know have 3 males and 8 females. It is freaky but nature is nature

thefishboy 10-30-2010 06:10 AM

They are amazing! Are you putting them in with you 'orca platys' that will be a lovely lil setup!!!!

eileen 10-31-2010 06:59 PM

I was thinking of putting them with the black swordtails later. I do not know how the black platies will turn out and since they were from bumblebee platy females they may throw out the yellow in some of the babies in the future. I do not know much about genetics in crossing platies/swordtails. My friend that breeds guppies and endlers told me that it would be cool to get a bumblebee swordtail pattern. I agree.

surfnchk 10-31-2010 11:14 PM

Very nice pictures! I love the sparkle to them. I bought one from petco as wel but I thought it was a female platy (I just liked the coloring) by looking at the anal fin. About a month later I looked in my tank and well it's a boy! Developed a swordtail! it's very cool! Great pics!

eileen 10-31-2010 11:59 PM

Thanks, did you read the post that someone posted that they can change sex. I'm hoping that between the 3 black Orca platies and the 2 swordtails I'm bound to get a male or female. I just hope I don't get any health issues in my tank before they get bigger. Those pictures took me awhile to get a good shot as they kept moving around and came out blurry.