Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Could I add a group of Scalar Angels... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/could-i-add-group-scalar-angels-54388/)

Calmwaters 10-27-2010 10:54 AM

Could I add a group of Scalar Angels...

to my 55 gallon? Below I will list the current fish in the tank can you guys tell me if I could keep the current fish or would I need to rehome some or all of them. If I need to rehome some which ones should I rehome?
Currently the tank has:
2 Male/Female Honey Gourami
2 Female Peacock Gudgeon
3 Rosy Red Minnow
3 Flame Tetra
6 Golden Barb
9 Neon Tetra (these could go into the 44 with some other neons)
6 Albino Corys
3 Corydoras Duplicareus

Calmwaters 10-27-2010 12:51 PM

Just wanted to add after rereading the profile I know the honey gourami and the flame tetra would need to be removed which I have a 20 gallon I can move them to and the tetra would need to be moved into the 44 gallon but what about the others? I know the corys would be fine and my golden barbs are very calm not nippy at all but want to double check with you guys to see if you think the barbs and peacock gudgeon would be fine.

Byron 10-27-2010 07:44 PM

I see the Gold Barb is not in our profiles; seems I have another to add. It is a fairly peaceful barb, but it is active and occurs in running streams, so its environment is different from angels that are quiet and sedate and like very still water, such as a flooded forest. I would not recommend two such opposite fish together.

The Peacock gudgeon may be ideal as a tankmate; it is quiet, occurs in forest streams and ponds (quiet water again), tends to remain in the lower regions sort of near the substrate [are yours like this?]. They would add some nice colour with angels.

Byron.

Calmwaters 10-27-2010 08:32 PM

Yes they are the only time they move away from the bottom is when its feeding time. The LFS is suspose to let me know tomorrow if they can get the Rams in or not if they can't would it be ok to move the golden barbs to the 20 gallon with the flame tetra? I plan on getting a group of 25 baby marble angles from someone on Aquabid that I have purchased other fish from before. I plan on keeping them in the 55 until they get a little size on them and hopefully start to pair up if thats not going to take to long then I am going to choose a pair and maybe a few more that I like to make a group of 5-6 if you think that will be ok for a 55 gallon. The rest I will sell/trade to the LFS. And the honey gourami I may give to a guy at the LFS that really wants them since he gave me 3 coryadorus habrosus.

Byron 10-28-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 501459)
Yes they are the only time they move away from the bottom is when its feeding time. The LFS is suspose to let me know tomorrow if they can get the Rams in or not if they can't would it be ok to move the golden barbs to the 20 gallon with the flame tetra? I plan on getting a group of 25 baby marble angles from someone on Aquabid that I have purchased other fish from before. I plan on keeping them in the 55 until they get a little size on them and hopefully start to pair up if thats not going to take to long then I am going to choose a pair and maybe a few more that I like to make a group of 5-6 if you think that will be ok for a 55 gallon. The rest I will sell/trade to the LFS. And the honey gourami I may give to a guy at the LFS that really wants them since he gave me 3 coryadorus habrosus.

I would not put the barbs in a 20g, there is insufficient swimming space for an active fish [I made a comment on this in the other thread concerning rummynose tetra]. Most of the barbs and all the danio fall into this category, active swimmers, thus requiring length over height.

Yes, 5-6 angels in a 55g is ideal. I saw your thread on angels. That's a good way to go when you have the option of getting rid of the excess angels easily. That many would get quite aggressive in such a small space, thinking of when they grow a bit.

Calmwaters 10-28-2010 01:05 PM

I also have the 44 gallon that I could move them into if that would be better and would not over stock the tank currently there are 6 tiger barb, 6 neon, 2 female betta, a pleco, and 6 corys. If I move the neons and golden barbs from the 55 to the 44 that would be a total of 15 neons as well at the other fish in the 44 gallon would that be over stocking? It is well planted and I do keep up with the water changes of course.