Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   100 litre stocking plan - opinions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/100-litre-stocking-plan-opinions-54384/)

joshuaedgington 10-27-2010 09:11 AM

100 litre stocking plan - opinions?

So I had a 45 litre, didnt enjoy myself because couldnt fit in all that i wanted! quickly upgraded to a 100 litre that i have running right now.
i kept only female livebearers and an apple snail. after a couple of months of every female livebearer contiuning to give brith, i have just sold them on. i still have a few fry in a small spare tank. so now i face the exciting time of restocking the 100 litre. i currently just have an apple snail in there, but have been putting fish flakes in to keep it cycled. so, i have come up with what i think i want in there. im going to use black sand, as many live plants as i can fit in and some bog wood for decoration. my filter is 480 litre and hour.

stocking list:
12 male guppys
5 corys (leopard or dwarf?)
2 or 3 scarlet dario badis
a group of about 15 tetra (rummynose? ember? or other small tetra, unsure whether to go for 2 small shoals or one large one)
1 apple snail
2netrite snails
10 assorted shrimp

so, what do you all think? opinions? advice? etc, and what order would be best to add them in?

thanks all!

joshuaedgington 10-27-2010 12:06 PM

No one wants to reply?

thefishboy 10-27-2010 12:33 PM

Im not an expert but maybe have
6-8 guppys
10-12 tetras
and 6 corys
and mybe some smallish central fish??
Just my opinion..:-)

joshuaedgington 10-27-2010 12:59 PM

the scarlet dario badis are just 2cm each adult size and are nice for central.
shrimp and snails add nothing significant to bioload so that makes no difference. think i will go for about 10 male guppys and your right, perhaps less tetra than originaly stated

thefishboy 10-27-2010 01:03 PM

well it might be better to have a larger group of tetras and less guppys?
The more tetras the healthier they are and more interesting to watch/
Any more questions i can try to answer?:-):-)

joshuaedgington 10-27-2010 01:12 PM

okay well i dont think there is a major disagreement between us on the stocking then, just keep track of my numbers.
the only other thing i would ask is should they be added in a certain order? my guess would be no, except dont add corys until there is enough fish in tere to make a bit of mess for them to clear

thefishboy 10-27-2010 01:26 PM

Well if you mean my mess 'fish poo'then you are incorrect, they eat food that the other fish have missed and also they need to be fed special algea wafers or sinking pellets.
Im not sure in which orde you should stock in as far as i know the tetras and corys need fairly matured tanks??

joshuaedgington 10-27-2010 01:29 PM

of course i did not mean fish.... theyre not snails! haha
i just meant mess of food really. my tank has been running for couple of months, but before that the filter was running in a different tank of mine

thefishboy 10-27-2010 01:39 PM

You could probably add your guppys first? Have you had your water tested yet?

joshuaedgington 10-27-2010 01:42 PM

its an established tank, if you go back to my OP you will see i am re stocking, as i have sold the fish i had there, already stillhave an apple snail and am putting in fish flakes to keep the filter matured