Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Land moss plantes in Aquarium, Will it survive? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/land-moss-plantes-aquarium-will-survive-54350/)

GreenPlanet 10-26-2010 03:33 PM

Land moss plantes in Aquarium, Will it survive?

3 Attachment(s)
Today I found a Moss in my garden. And I was looking plant for plants for my aquarium. I know they are not underwater moss though I just wanted to give it a try. Lets see what happens next. I just planted their root under some rocks. They looks cool donít know how long they will look cool> Attached some pics of my new land moss planted in my aquarium. Feel free to comment and give me any suggestions.

bettababy 10-26-2010 04:25 PM

If I may...
I would suggest taking that out of your tank, and watching your fish very closely for the next few days to weeks. Here is the problem:
Terrestrial (land) plants, when totally submerged, will rot quickly. Rotting plant mater will quickly pollute aquarium water, which can be deadly for the fish. Another problem, you mentioned you plucked these out of your garden... any chemicals from the soil that may be on the plant (or have been absorbed by the plant) is likely toxic to your fish. Have you ever added fertilizers, plant foods, weed killers to the ground near where you picked the plant, or added store bought potting soil, bug sprays etc. to the ground anywhere near this area? All of those things can get into an aquarium and make for a toxic mess.
The other thing to worry about, who else may have contaminated the ground with toxins such as listed above, without you knowing it? A family member? A stranger?
And finally... pollution. Taking things from an outdoor environment always poses some risk due to pollution. There are various ways pollution can contaminate plants, from the soil they are growing in to airborn pollutants that settle on plant parts. Rinsing with water is not always enough to remove these things. Live plants cannot be sterilized the way a rock can, by soaking it in bleach or boiling it (which does not always work even with rocks).

No matter how you look at it, this kind of "pretty" does not last and poses much more risk than most people would be willing to take with their beloved fish.

Best of luck to you.

redchigh 10-26-2010 05:00 PM

You can order "African water fern" online-
it's aquatic and looks almost the same if you like the look.

GreenPlanet 10-26-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 500529)
If I may...
I would suggest taking that out of your tank, and watching your fish very closely for the next few days to weeks. Here is the problem:
Terrestrial (land) plants, when totally submerged, will rot quickly. Rotting plant mater will quickly pollute aquarium water, which can be deadly for the fish. Another problem, you mentioned you plucked these out of your garden... any chemicals from the soil that may be on the plant (or have been absorbed by the plant) is likely toxic to your fish. Have you ever added fertilizers, plant foods, weed killers to the ground near where you picked the plant, or added store bought potting soil, bug sprays etc. to the ground anywhere near this area? All of those things can get into an aquarium and make for a toxic mess.
The other thing to worry about, who else may have contaminated the ground with toxins such as listed above, without you knowing it? A family member? A stranger?
And finally... pollution. Taking things from an outdoor environment always poses some risk due to pollution. There are various ways pollution can contaminate plants, from the soil they are growing in to airborn pollutants that settle on plant parts. Rinsing with water is not always enough to remove these things. Live plants cannot be sterilized the way a rock can, by soaking it in bleach or boiling it (which does not always work even with rocks).

No matter how you look at it, this kind of "pretty" does not last and poses much more risk than most people would be willing to take with their beloved fish.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I don't have any aquarium plant shop here thats the reason for looking for aquarium plant everywhere :( Looks like I have to remove this one. I dont want to infect my fish with any virus or bacteria.

GreenPlanet 10-26-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 500549)
You can order "African water fern" online-
it's aquatic and looks almost the same if you like the look.

Thanks for the info mate. Do you good website who ships them worldwide? I am from so far far away.

bettababy 10-26-2010 05:48 PM

What is your general location? I have naja grass, java moss, and hornwort I thin from my tanks quite often and would be willing to part with... usually it ends up in the garbage for lack of anywhere else to go with it. I will be trimming naja grass again within the next week and can dip into the java moss at anytime.

BTW, the plant in your pictures is not "moss", it is a terrestrial species of fern.

GreenPlanet 10-26-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bettababy (Post 500603)
What is your general location? I have naja grass, java moss, and hornwort I thin from my tanks quite often and would be willing to part with... usually it ends up in the garbage for lack of anywhere else to go with it. I will be trimming naja grass again within the next week and can dip into the java moss at anytime.

BTW, the plant in your pictures is not "moss", it is a terrestrial species of fern.

I have have some newly planted hornwort :D Which I have collected from a lake. I told some fisherman when they go fishing next time dont trowway your trash ( underwater plants ) which is gold to me. Some peoples trash is some peoples gold. funny world we live in.:lol:

Thanks you so much for correcting me , I know its fern as i was reading somewhere about moss then I wrote moss.

bettababy 10-26-2010 07:01 PM

I will still issue warning on using plants collected in such a way. You could easily wipe our your entire tank and everything in it by adding 1 piece of polluted plant, not to mention the number of parasites, fungus, and bacteria you could introduce into your tank. Captive bred aquarium fish do not have the same strong immune system of a wild fish, thus the bacteria, fungus, parasites that you may bring in on plants could be some that your fish have no ability to fight. Now days, most common freshwater aquarium fish are captive bred. That is a very dangerous practice.

The other reason I suggest against doing such things is for legal reasons. There is a wide variety of plants around the world that are protected, and there is also a wide variety considered invasive. If caught transporting or possessing any of these species there could be large fines involved, along with confiscation of not just the plants but anything else that allowed you to collect, transport, or keep them. And yes... in some areas, hornwort is on that list.

It is much safer to order plants from the internet than to use those found outdoors. There are various lfs based websites that sell them and a lot of online auctions. Forums such as this one are also great places to obtain plants via internet & mail. Another idea would be to check your local area for any fish/aquarium clubs that exist. There are many of those out there, even in places where lfs's are hard to find.

Best of luck to you.

redchigh 10-27-2010 11:21 AM

Plants do have risks, but if you are going to do it anyway, you can dip the plants in a mild potassium permagranate solution- should destroy any pathogens.

As for toxins, that's a different story.

If you want to find a place to order plants worldwide, try Aquabid. (The products have an icon beside it with either a flag to represent the country or a little globe to show worldwide)

I'm assuming you're not in the USA-
Where are you?