Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   yellow tang acting weird (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/yellow-tang-acting-weird-54332/)

thebigzone 10-26-2010 10:06 AM

yellow tang acting weird

hi this is my first time posting on this web site. i have had my Yellow Tang for about 8 months and all of a sudden he has been rubbing both sides of his back end against the glass turning it into like a red rash. he only does this in one spot and no were else in the tank. i have had the tank for about 2 years i have a clown, six line wrasse, sunrise dottyback a cleaner shrimp 5 turbo snails 4 hermit crabs and about 8 pieces of coral. my water is almost perfect besides my calcium ph 8.2, ammonia 0,nitrite 0 my calcium is only about 300ppm. my tank siz e is a 30 gallon and i have about 25 pounds of live rock and two big caves he can go in, and i feed him mysin shrimp twice a day and a piece of seaweed twice a day. i have a qt tank but had bad luck with it (only one out of four fish made it out alive) what do u think i should do, and is wrong?

njudson 10-26-2010 12:01 PM

Any recent additions to the tank?

bearwithfish 10-26-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njudson (Post 500329)
Any recent additions to the tank?

barring this i wonder if it could be a new additive or salt mix, source of water, or another changes in care or environment?

thebigzone 10-26-2010 12:19 PM

My sunrise dottyback about 2 months ago
Posted via Mobile Device

bearwithfish 10-26-2010 12:23 PM

no i would not think that was recent enough to be an issue.. oh does the dotty have any issues? perhaps its parasitical.. but if the dotty is doing well ......

perhaps some of our more experianced members will be on inthe next day or two to help ....

nick... what are your thoughts here man... should we PM a few of the guys and see there thoughts on this?

thebigzone 10-26-2010 12:23 PM

And I have just started useing reef complete to raise calcium a week ago
Posted via Mobile Device

bearwithfish 10-26-2010 12:25 PM

a slow rise or did you attempt a large dose??? i know when i over dosed my first time a few of my fish got squirrelly and acted wierd untill they became accustomed to the new parameters...

thebigzone 10-26-2010 12:38 PM

He is doing well he has a little white spot even at pet store hasn't gotten bigger hasn't been itching eats great aggressive toward wrasse and tang has an apittight like u wouldn't be leave he eats everthing
Posted via Mobile Device

thebigzone 10-26-2010 12:46 PM

I have add the reccomended dose a cap and a half twice a week
Posted via Mobile Device

njudson 10-26-2010 12:54 PM

Check out this link. It is a flow chart to diagnosis fish skin disorders. Fish Skin Disorders
I'm no expert at all but if you post a pic the people who know more might be able to help ya