Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Updated picture of my Orca platies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/updated-picture-my-orca-platies-54302/)

eileen 10-25-2010 07:07 PM

Updated picture of my Orca platies

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a updated pictures of my Orca platies. It's to bad that only 4 black ones survived out of the group of black ones born. These ones are doing great. They all appear to be females but I know with platies and swordtails it takes awhile for the gonopodem to develop in males. I'm trying to find a Black Belin Swordtail male so that I can put these with as plaites and swordtails can mate. Notice the slight yellow on the last picture of the platy. This is the biggest of the 4 I have. The other 3 do not have the yellow showing up.I think they are so cute.

If anyone out their knows of someone that has Black Berlin swordtails or a Black male platy with a clear tail PM me.The solid black color though out the body in platies or swordtails is lethal and will turn to cancer or tumors and kill the fish. That's is why they are rare and you do not see many black platies.

zof 10-25-2010 07:31 PM

I want a higher res picture! Still cute though, I think you are rather lucky to have had 4 survive! Well if they have made it to this stage they will most likely make it all the way to adulthood so congrats, can wait to see the color on the adults thought!

eileen 10-25-2010 07:54 PM

I can't take good pictures with my Kodak EasyShare C812. Yeah I guess I'm lucky that 4 survived as the weaker ones you don't want to keep anyways. At first when they were little they had a greyish color mixed with the black that's why I called them my Orca babies as they looked like Killer Whales.

The adult coloring might be different then when they were small babies. I still like how they came out and I like how their little silver eyes stand out. I'm wondering if anyone that has bumblebee platies had any babies that came out mostly black like these. I had 3 colors out of my bumblebee platies, the bumblebee coloring black and yellow, the plain yellow which it seems more of those were born then any other color and then a few black ones. Maybe someone in the forum that had the 3 colors like mine might know how they turned out as adults. Let me know or send some pictures if you have them.

eileen 10-25-2010 09:51 PM

Posted all the pictures of them when they were small and now on photobucket slideshow as the pictures look better. Notice when they were smaller how they had more of a white grey coloring over the dark black as they are getting older the coloring has changed. I hope the coloring does not change so much.

Here is the link:
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Mikaila31 10-25-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 499972)
.The solid black color though out the body in platies or swordtails is lethal and will turn to cancer or tumors and kill the fish. That's is why they are rare and you do not see many black platies.

Ummm.... no it doesn't :|

thefishboy 10-26-2010 05:40 AM

Lovely little platys!