Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Discuss - a problem to keep?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mirta 
#1 ·
Is it true that discusses should have a tank for themselves? If not, what are the safe species for them?

They also require some better conditions and food, as I heard. And they like quiet places.

#4 ·
Locally-bred discus will be your best option. Wild ones are another story. They aren't exactly difficult to keep. It is only a matter of careful planning and acclimatization. Failure to do so often places the discus into risks.

Placid tankmates are recommended. Various South American tetras and other characins, corydoras, rasboras and apistogrammas are the best tankmates the discus can have. Keeping angelfish with them can be accomplished but it must be noted that angels are all too often eager to breed and are more temperamental compared to the shy discus hence you'll find a lot of sites will not recommend mixing discus and angels. I learned my lesson here with the regret of mixing the quite-eager-to-breed angels with my discus.

HTH

#8 ·
I think they're easier than a lot of people think. Most of the articles and resources are made with breeding in mind, which is signifigantly more difficult than keeping them.

The routine maintinence is definitely more demanding than with a normal tank. You should make sure your tank is well established and properly cycled before thinking about adding them. If you have a good canister filter, you can expect to do water changes about two times per week. You should plan for a 75 gallon or larger tank, because it is more stable and you can have a lerge enough school for them to be happy (5 - 6 or more).

As far as tank mates for a community discus tank, you cab have some of the smaller pleco species, dwarf cichlids (Rams, apisto's), and some of the tetra species (Neons, Cardinals, Rummy nose), cory's are ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.