Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Two Problems 2 Separate Tanks Snails and Red Colour on fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/two-problems-2-separate-tanks-snails-5427/)

bradley22 04-28-2007 06:32 AM

Two Problems 2 Separate Tanks Snails and Red Colour on fish

Hi Guys,

I was doing my weekly water changes in both my 3ft tank and 2ft tank and noticed two problems.

In the first tank (2ft tank) it has 4 mollies and recently 2 baby mollies were born and are doing rather well. There conditions are Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 and nitrate 5. Water temp is 27 Degrees and PH of 7. I looked yesterday and i had 1 snail and after i had done my water change there seems to be like 10 of them they are very very very very small. Will they cause any problems for a tank will they harm the babies or any of the other fish. Should i get rid of them and how can i do this? Is there a natural way or do i use a chemical to kill them off? but will that cause harm to the other fish especially to the babies.

In the second tank (3ft Tank) it has 1 peacock spiny eel, 2 pakistani loaches and 2 hillstroam loaches. Water parameters of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. PH 6.8 and temp of 25 degrees. I noticed tonite that the pakistani loach started to rub himself on the fine gravel and when i did some research it can be some many different things affected by a parasite so i have put a dosage of parasite medication into the tank too see if that helps I also noticed there looks a slight redness near there gills but there fins are moving fine and no white spots or any other markings on any of the other fish. Only the Pakistani loach is beginning to rub himself on the gravel at this stage. Would it just be a parasite or could it be something more. What other options are there to help reduce the stress on the fish and not harm any of the others.

sxcsamman 04-28-2007 07:31 AM

snails arnt going to do a whole lot of damage but they will keep breeding and wont stop :D buy a loach to eat the snails

bradley22 04-28-2007 08:39 AM

What kind of loaches will eat the snails but won't grow to big in the tank?

Trishfish 04-28-2007 12:53 PM

Sounds like common pond snails. They won't do any damage but reproduce quickly and I personally don't like them. They will eat up algae. You can always put a lettuce leaf in the tank, wait an hour, and pull it and the snails on it out. Then repeat and repeat. A loach is a good idea. Someone else will have to make a recommendation on the kind for you.

sxcsamman 04-29-2007 01:57 AM

clown loach

Lupin 04-29-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxcsamman
clown loach

There are other loaches available, not just clowns.:) Reconsideration must be given if you can possibly upgrade the tank in the near future.

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6423

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradley22
In the second tank (3ft Tank) it has 1 peacock spiny eel, 2 pakistani loaches and 2 hillstroam loaches. Water parameters of 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. PH 6.8 and temp of 25 degrees. I noticed tonite that the pakistani loach started to rub himself on the fine gravel and when i did some research it can be some many different things affected by a parasite so i have put a dosage of parasite medication into the tank too see if that helps I also noticed there looks a slight redness near there gills but there fins are moving fine and no white spots or any other markings on any of the other fish. Only the Pakistani loach is beginning to rub himself on the gravel at this stage. Would it just be a parasite or could it be something more. What other options are there to help reduce the stress on the fish and not harm any of the others.

It is best to take a close observation that fish in the meantime. Watch out for any heavy breathing and continuous scrubbing on the gills. It could be gill flukes but it is best not to medicate until you can properly identify what exactly is the cause.

Loaches are often sensitive to medications and you'll only be doing them more harm than help. Give the loaches a variety of foods in order to give their immune system a boost enough to resist any possible illnesses.

bradley22 04-29-2007 04:59 AM

thanks guys i will get a few clown loaches, i would like to upgrade the tank to a 4ft tank in the future but as i am only been keeping fish for 8 months i don't want to over extend myself and risk loosing fish. Thanks again for the advice i will continue to moniture the other fish in the tank i might take a few pics and post them to see if there indeed is a problem.

Cheers Brad

Lupin 04-29-2007 05:02 AM

Brad, if I were you, stick with the smaller species. Your current pakistani loaches might want more companions should you wish to buy more and use the new ones to eradicate the snails instead.:)

bradley22 05-06-2007 03:19 AM

yeah ended up sticking with the pakistani loaches due to size of tank and snail problem seems to be gone did a clean this week and seemed to get a lot of empty shells cheers

hellow 05-06-2007 10:47 AM

I dont know why all of you hate snails. i have had fish and snails live together for 2 years without trouble. Then i added chlorinated water and forgot to dechlorinate and all of my fish died. But my snails lived. They assisted my alage eaters.