Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   help really fast (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-really-fast-5424/)

xxthrwitdwnxx 04-28-2007 02:15 AM

help really fast

my tiger barb is losing color and my red tail shark went from a good black body to clear what can i do asap

Lupin 04-28-2007 02:26 AM

Welcome to Fishforum.com.8)

We need more details about your situation.:)
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
2. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or saltwater?
3. How long the aquarium has been setup
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
6. What make/model filter are you using?
7. Are you using a CO2 unit?
8. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
9. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
10.How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
11.Is your aquarium light incandescent or fluorescent and how often is it kept on?
12.What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
13. Water are your water test results for:
pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

xxthrwitdwnxx 04-28-2007 02:35 AM

Re: help really fast

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxthrwitdwnxx
my tiger barb is losing color and my red tail shark went from a good black body to clear what can i do asap

an update i did a 5 gallon water change about 8:00 and about 10 mins ago added top fin ammonia remover and my red tail is bringing back color along with my tiger but why would this happen tank is fairly new almost a month old please reply

29 gallon
freshwater
setup for about 3 1/2 weeks
5 tiger barbs
3 red glass barbs
2 rosy barbs
1 red tail barb
5 bumble be catfish
1 bala shark
no live plants
aqua clear powerfilter 50
no co2 unit
1 hour if that of sunlight
8:00 5 gallon water change maybe 4
once a day now since they where getting to much
not sure on lighting big long bulb u see usually in a kitchen and 4 hours sometimes 6
fish loosing color
8.0 ammonia
7.6 ph
0.0 nitrite
not sure for nitrate no test kit

xxthrwitdwnxx 04-28-2007 02:36 AM

update

an update i did a 5 gallon water change about 8:00 and about 10 mins ago added top fin ammonia remover and my red tail is bringing back color along with my tiger but why would this happen tank is fairly new almost a month old please reply

29 gallon
freshwater
setup for about 3 1/2 weeks
5 tiger barbs
3 red glass barbs
2 rosy barbs
1 red tail barb
5 bumble be catfish
1 bala shark
no live plants
aqua clear powerfilter 50
no co2 unit
1 hour if that of sunlight
8:00 5 gallon water change maybe 4
once a day now since they where getting to much
not sure on lighting big long bulb u see usually in a kitchen and 4 hours sometimes 6
fish loosing color
8.0 ammonia
7.6 ph
0.0 nitrite
not sure for nitrate no test kit

Lupin 04-28-2007 02:39 AM

Hi.

What test kit were you using? 8.0 ammonia is quite deadly and would have killed your fish in a short time. I recommend liquid test kit by API. Nitrates test is also very important. Your tank has not finished cycling from the looks of the details you provided.:)

xxthrwitdwnxx 04-28-2007 02:46 AM

im using api and im not doing a fishless cycle and quite new to the hobby i added some ammonia remover brand top fin and that brought color to the fish back and they are more active but why would my ammonia level spike soo high esspecially after a water change and is there anything that can speed the cycle process faster

JouteiMike 04-28-2007 03:13 AM

Yikes.

Are you sure it's your Ammonia that's 8.0, and not your Nitrite?

That tank is waaaaaay too overstocked, and a lot of those fish require a MUCH bigger tank. The tank has not cycled yet, meaning, beneficial bacteria have not developed which convert the ammonia to nitrite, which is then converted to a less harmful substance, nitrate.

The waste levels are going to continue to skyrocket. I would see if you can give a lot of the fish, especially the sharks and catfish, to a local fish store, otherwise they surely all will suffer, and most likely perish.

xxthrwitdwnxx 04-28-2007 03:21 AM

update

getting a new tank soon for some of the fish but all these fish are doing just fine they alll get along they have established rank and everything and ive even had some spawning activity. everyone says bala sharks need a 50 gallon tank but my grandparents have the same tank and same fish and have had it for 4 years and have had eggs and all fish are still alive none died.

xxthrwitdwnxx 04-28-2007 03:59 AM

update

fish are doing better and tests for ammonia are now 4.0

sxcsamman 04-28-2007 04:47 AM

do a small water change daily or twice daily until it finishes cycling