Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Oh me oh my I should not be allowed at a fish auction. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/oh-me-oh-my-i-should-54238/)

eatmysox 10-24-2010 08:26 PM

Oh me oh my I should not be allowed at a fish auction.

Sooo I went to a fish auction today and of course I spent more money then I intended but I got some pretty good deals.
A bunch of plants
Sunset hygro (3)
Three types of Val (3,1,1)
Anubias (unknown type)
Hornwort (1)
Sal (1)
Unknown Hygro (2)
Water Sprite (1)
A few inverts
15 cherry shrimp (4)
Electric Blue Crayfish (3)
6 Gold Mystery Snails (1)
A few Fish
6 Young German Blue Rams (18)
Breeding trio of red by reds (1)
Pair of Black Marble Angels (13)
4 Green Sword tails 3F, 1M (1)
12 Yellow Cheeked Krib (3)
A few other accessories
Heaters 50w 100w (10,15)
White worm culture (3)
API Master Test Kit (10)
Betta Fry Food (3)
4 plastic corals (4)

Whichever way I look at it I seemed to have picked up alot of stuff (some of it might of been on an impulse but we all have those) Its going to take a while to update all of my tanks with all of these things.

Anyways Comments are wonderful, and who knows I may have some extra stock in a few months ready to go to a new home now

aunt kymmie 10-24-2010 10:28 PM

Dang. You went off. It makes me afraid, very afraid, as I'm attending my first action come November. I really hope there isn't anybody there with any Discus. How are you QT'ing all those fish?? How many tanks do you have set up??

eatmysox 10-24-2010 10:53 PM

Currently I have 14 tanks set up with three QT tanks. The fry all went into a newly cycled 20 gallon and the angels went into their own newly cycled set up so no need to QT them. But I went crazy on the plants not so much the fish, there were hundreds of cichlids there going for as little as a buck. Someone got 6 full grown beautiful electric blue jack dempseys for 5 bucks. I almost bid on them but i sadly have no tank for them to live in. This was my first auction to. I got some deals and i missed some. As long as you have someone there to keep you in line (my girlfriend was there smaking me everytime I made an unnecessary bid, which was lots my arms still hurts :shock:) you will be fine. There were only 3 discus at this auction they were all a dark red and they went for between 40-50 bucks

eatmysox 10-24-2010 10:54 PM

ohhh the kribs were fry didn't put that in the first post.

eileen 10-24-2010 10:54 PM

Kym, They will have all kinds of stuff. The last really big auction this guy brought in nice Discus and they went for cheap Blues, Red orange ones.You never know what people will bring though. I took down my Aqua-clear power filter in my 10 gal. as it made a big hole in my sand and was to strong of a current . It was rated for 5-20 gal. but has no flow adjustment. I traded it out for a 10 gal. filter I got at the fish club raffle cost me $1 for 10 tickets. I'm going to sell this filter, a Theo heater, 3 Tropical fish hobbiest magazines and maybe a couple of platies that I do not want to keep.I have to get their early though. The earlier you show up to sell things the closer to the front your items are to sell. I will have to meet you over at the auction Nov.14th as the building it is in is hard to find. You need to bring me 1 berried female Red cherry shrimp. I have about 20 but some are so small and none of the females are berried. I want to get a blue eyed bushy nosed pleco baby. Last time I went they had 3 bagged up together.

aunt kymmie 10-24-2010 11:03 PM

No problem, I can bring you at least a trio of berried females. Those RCS are going crazy in my tanks. :-) Ron (over at Pet Kingdom) has the craziest looking bristlenoses I have ever seen. They are orange, and I mean orange! He is holding one for me but won't give it to me until he has had a chance to sex them. They are really small and he has twelve of them. He wants to make sure he gets a male & female before he parts with any of them. You might want to hold off on getting a pleco at auction. These orange ones are pretty spectacular looking. I know I will purchase plants but I really need to resist getting any fish. I finally have my Discus tank dialed and why upset the balance? But some of them are sooo hard to resist. If Chad from San Diego Discus is there my boat is sunk, lol.

eileen 10-24-2010 11:15 PM

You have to have will power for sure at auctions. You bring a notepad and pen. Have a list of the stuff you really want to get so that you stay focused. When people start bringing the stuff and it lines the tables you write down the item # that is on the item in you notebook. If you do not want fish you can sometimes get really good magazines, books on fish and aquarium items like driftwood, sand, water chemicals, fish nets. Plants go really cheap sometimes for $1 a bag. If we see something we both like we can split the cost of it .I will bring extra fish bags and a container in case . My friend Karen got a huge container of freezed dried brine shrimp for almost nothing. That stuff is so expensive at the LFS. She gave me a baggy full of some of it. The auction should be really fun.

aunt kymmie 10-25-2010 06:35 AM

That sounds like a good idea. You are so much more focused than I. I never know what I want (notice my lack of the word "need") until I see it and if it's a good deal or not, lol.
I love the idea of splitting plants. (Ahem, I need more plants like I need a while in the head!)
I came home with a handful of crypts yesterday, stood in front of the tank and thought, "Now, where am I suppose to put these??". I have the same illness as my mother, if one is good, more is better. :crazy: These traits are genetic, lol.

My short term goal is to set up a 180. It's turning into a long term goal since I scour craigslist daily, looking for one. I've even expanded my search to include all of Southern California, not just my county. I may have to go neighboring states! The B/F would do a road trip w/ me to pick it up.
So, what I "need" at auction is lighting, filtration and some GIANT chucks of driftwood. Eileen, it's your job to keep me on task! :-D

eat my sox- sorry to hijack, at least we are staying on topic as far as auctions. Will you take some pics of your new acquisitions and post? What is a trio of reds by reds??

1077 10-25-2010 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmysox (Post 499213)
Sooo I went to a fish auction today and of course I spent more money then I intended but I got some pretty good deals.
A bunch of plants
Sunset hygro (3)
Three types of Val (3,1,1)
Anubias (unknown type)
Hornwort (1)
Sal (1)
Unknown Hygro (2)
Water Sprite (1)
A few inverts
15 cherry shrimp (4)
Electric Blue Crayfish (3)
6 Gold Mystery Snails (1)
A few Fish
6 Young German Blue Rams (18)
Breeding trio of red by reds (1)
Pair of Black Marble Angels (13)
4 Green Sword tails 3F, 1M (1)
12 Yellow Cheeked Krib (3)
A few other accessories
Heaters 50w 100w (10,15)
White worm culture (3)
API Master Test Kit (10)
Betta Fry Food (3)
4 plastic corals (4)

Whichever way I look at it I seemed to have picked up alot of stuff (some of it might of been on an impulse but we all have those) Its going to take a while to update all of my tanks with all of these things.

Anyways Comments are wonderful, and who knows I may have some extra stock in a few months ready to go to a new home now

:shock: Remind me to never take you shopping!
Do be careful placing the Crayfish in your tank(s). My sister brought me one over the weekend that was ripping her goldfish's fins to shreds.
I really didn't have a tank to place the fish in and ended up placing it with a four inch Green Terror. Had to move out the spotted raphael from the tank for it was not amused with sharing the cave with the Crayfish. The Green Terror want's nothing to do with the crayfish and I am hopeful they can co-exist.
Placed the spotted raphael with King Betta in 20 gallon and am fearful for the betta,
'Guess it's time I set up the empty 55 gallon or 29 gallon but I'm not looking forward to water changes on six tanks .Went from a dozen ,to six ,to three,and am now finding myself once again a slave to the fishes.:lol:

aunt kymmie 10-25-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 499444)
:shock: Remind me to never take you shopping! am now finding myself once again a slave to the fishes.:lol:

But it's all a labour of love, is it not?? ;-)