Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking advice please (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-advice-please-54226/)

lauramikks 10-24-2010 04:54 PM

Stocking advice please

Hi i have a 48l tank that has been running for about a year i currently have 1 silver mollie, 3 beacon tetras, 2 platy and 2 honey gourmais i was wondering how many more i could have in my tank and if anyone has any suggestions on what to get, wouldnt mind something to brighten it up a bit looks a bit empty.:-)

any advice much appreciated

eatmysox 10-24-2010 11:09 PM

use the site aqadvisor.com it is a great site for learning how to stock. Beware it does give you a little more stocking then you may actually have.

eileen 10-24-2010 11:28 PM

Add a Bushy Nosed Pleco. They stay small and they have brown ones, white ones.4" max and does a great job on cleaning the tank of algae they grow slow and get along with most community fish and are bottom fish. You might want to add a group of 3 more tetras to the group you already have and get another school of another type of tetra. I like Harleqen Rasbora tetras as they are very hardy and have a nice neon orange color so do Glow light tetras. I have not had much luck with neon or cardnial tetras as they are fussy about water. My tank is a community 55 gal. low light planted tank. I have 2 small new angelfish, 2 blonde endler females, 5 Von Rio congo tetras, 5 Harlequen Rasboras, 1 bushynosed pleco, 1 yo yo loach.

lauramikks 10-25-2010 03:32 AM

Thats great thanks for the advice, when i went to the shop he said i could only have 10 in my tank thinking i may go somewhere else :roll:
so how many in total in tank would you say.
Also i have gravel in my tank is that ok for them.

small fry 10-25-2010 06:07 AM

I would advise you not get any fish right now. You currently have about 16" of fish in your tank right now. That's a bit overstocked for a 48L (12gal) tank. Besides, your tetras should be kept in a group no less than 6. It can cause major health issues to leave them with only 3.

If it were me I would either sell some fish to school the Tetras, or move them out of the tank. If you post your stocking plan on this thread I'm sure TFK will help you out.

But whatever you do, please don't put more fish in your 12 gallon tank.

Hope this helps.

eileen 10-25-2010 11:34 AM

I miss read your post sorry. I thought you had a 48 gal. tank. For a 12 gal. you would be way overstocked. schooling fish are nice for a tank that size like 6 and maybe 1 of the following.Dwarf cory, 2 Ghost shrimps or 1 mystery snail for a bottom clean up crew. If you do not go with schooling fish then maybe some male endlers which are smaller then guppies or all male guppies. platies are big waste producers and mollies and swordtails get to big for a small tank that size. If you added females you will get so many babies you will not know what to do and have to get another tank for them. If you rehomed some of your fish you can do a speices only tank and get a small group of dwarf cories, or dwarf puffer fish. Just make sure you read up about whatever you get so you know what water and temp. requirements they need.

The stocking rule is 1" per gallon. You have to go with the adult size of the fish. 2" for mollies, 2" for each Honey Gouarmi, 2" for your platies, 1" or so for your tetras. you might want to rehome the molly and platy and just get a bottom cory to keep the bottom clean , Keep the qouramis, 3 tetras. that way your tank will understocked nothing wrong with being understocked.

If it is a little overstocked remember to do weekly water changes of 20-25% to keep the water qty. good.