Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Will guppies overpopulate a 15 gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/will-guppies-overpopulate-15-gallon-tank-54218/)

Caliban 10-24-2010 04:46 PM

Will guppies overpopulate a 15 gallon tank?

Hello, everyone! From what I've read about guppies, they breed like crazy. How much of a problem is this? If I start with 5 or 6 guppies will they overrun my tank? I was hoping to put 5 or 6 guppies in with 8 neon tetras in a substrate planted 15 gallon tank. I am still in the planning stages, so I am flexible and willing to learn. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Hannah

zof 10-24-2010 04:58 PM

Theres a chance of that, one way of preventing that is to get all male guppies, which show nicer anyways, but also in a 15 gallon tank with no to very little cover I doubt many fry will survive with the hungry mouths around.

Mikaila31 10-24-2010 04:59 PM

HAHA. I started with 6 endlers and in about 3 months had 150 of the things in a 15 gallon tank. ATM I got over 2 dozen that originated from those first 6. They are getting inbred and breeding is slowing down. I got to figure if I want to introduce new ones or just cull them all and breed some less common livebearer.

Caliban 10-24-2010 05:19 PM

Will all male guppies get aggressive towards one and other or does the aggression only show up if females are present?

Chicklet 10-24-2010 05:26 PM

Male guppies don't get aggrssive towards one another,
That's one of the many reasons they are so popular,
Their always on the move, Chasing, playing, etc
Sometimes watching them it's like playing tag, one gets chosen to be the girl and they all chase him,
Then after awhile it's another male, The fun never ends with those guys.

Guppies don't get aggressive when a girl is added, they just simple all want a piece of the pie so to speak,
Image 1 girl to a dozen crazed guys, Poor girl, you just don't put one girl with a bunch of guy gupps, they can't help but drive her nuts!

As for over populating a tank, Easily with guppies. Considering one female alone can give birth to way over 100 young per month. However the average is around 30 or so.

Guppies are one the best little fish you could possible own, They come in a vast array of colors, You could even delve into creating your own strain.

I keep ALOT of Guppies, I just love those guys to death :)

fryup 10-24-2010 05:26 PM

males arnt really agressive they mite have a little nip at each other but NEVER couse harm its just a dominace thing :):):)

Caliban 10-24-2010 05:34 PM

Good to know, so the trick is to make sure you don't accidentally get one female when you get the males... Is there an easy way to tell what sex you're getting? Is it hard to differentiate?

fryup 10-24-2010 05:35 PM

its the easyest fish to sex haha look on line there are loads of pics and most guppy websites give detailed info on male/female sexing :):):)

Caliban 10-24-2010 05:41 PM

Excellent. Baby fish are the last thing I want :)

fryup 10-24-2010 05:43 PM

and 9 times out of 10 the males are more colourful than females :):):)