Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Beware The LFS!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/beware-lfs-5416/)

Mating Slinkys 04-27-2007 08:26 PM

Beware The LFS!!!

Not sure if this is the place for this, but has anyone else had really bad advice from their LFS? When i was setting up my first tank, complete newbie that i was, i relied quite a lot on advice from my LFS. I had a couple of Angels and the yoyo's as well as the plec and i wanted to have something in there to add a little mid/surface colour and fancied the idea of a shoal of something. I saw some pretty little flame tailed guppies and thought that they would be perfect. So i asked the fishman if there were any problems putting them in my tank, specifically would my angels bully them. "No mate, they'll be fine! They're good little fish them, you'll have no problems." so armed with this advice 5 pretty little guppies went into the tank. In less than an hour they'd been run ragged and barely had a tail between them! Fortunately i was able to give them to a mate with a less agressive tank and they are all fine, but i wondered if anyone else fell for bad advice at the start ot things... Name and shame folks!

Lupin 04-27-2007 08:31 PM

There has been a lot of people here reportedly given bad advice. Best to research more or dig deeper before you follow the advice.:)

Mating Slinkys 04-27-2007 08:39 PM

Yeah, i does that now, just wondered if anyone else had horror stories. And to be fair my lfs is usually good (which is why i've not named and shamed) there's just one dude who doesn't seem to know jack. I talk to the other dudes for advice now.

Andyandsue 04-27-2007 09:25 PM

Ely's Aquarium in NJ. Awful experience!! This man did not want to help us, upset my little girl with his comment about our fish (and his butt crack when he bent over)! The store, the tanks, even the merchandise was gross, dirty and smelled like mold.

Aquatic Visions in East Hanover NJ? The BEST! I have been told only one incorrect thing from one of their employees, and I am able to let that go, it was an honest mistake. They have been great to us even though we are not a "big" customer. I have bought every fish there (except our bettas) and have not had one issue with any of them.

Mating Slinkys 04-27-2007 10:06 PM

Susan's just made me a little ashamed. bit of a negative thread this one, lighten it up with any big thumbs up to awesome LFS's too!

mr.bojangles 04-27-2007 10:10 PM

i have great experience with the staff at big al's kitchener. the trick is to find out how long the peron has worked ther. if they've been ther for more than 2 months ther generally pretty good at there job

Lupin 04-27-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.bojangles
i have great experience with the staff at big al's kitchener. the trick is to find out how long the peron has worked ther. if they've been ther for more than 2 months ther generally pretty good at there job

I'll state my opinion on this.:) The employee's stay in the petshop is not often all that relevant. It all depends on how serious the person is with his work and hobby. If he really enjoys the hobby, then that person does all his homework and tries to learn as much as possible to help willingly to customers and all too often, those who are new to the hobby.

There are people on the other hand who do not try to learn as much as they can during their two months' work. These people are often the ones who cannot even take their time to read a few books or even ask the advice and make observations from experienced hobbyists on how they take care of their aquaria.

A good pet shop employee is the one who is willing to help the customer, takes a book out if he/she cannot answer the question, takes time to entertain his/her customers and knows what he/she is talking about without attempting to mislead or confuse the buyer.

A bad pet shop employee, however, is quite distinguishable from the lighter side. He/She does not take the time to entertain customers, gets disgruntled when bombarded by questions, makes hasty conclusions which are often sounding too fishy and often, takes out all nets and equipments instead and proceed to catch fish without questions.

An advice for beginners:
It is advisable for beginners to take their time to research as well, not just ask the pet shop employees. This will help you save your time and money. If in doubt with a person's advice, always try to research further and don't make hasty decisions if it will work or not.

Hope this helps.:)

mr.bojangles 04-27-2007 11:01 PM

the ones that stay for 2 months are the 2s wow do ther homework ... if they dont they get fired ... 50% of my time wen im not working at the store i work at im doing research. wen we get a new shipment in almost all of the employees take a list home of the stuff they dont know about so that they can research before ther next shift. the time does matter

Lupin 04-27-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.bojangles
the time does matter

I did not say time doesn't matter. I implied in my post that oftentimes, time is not relevant because there are those who, even if they did work for tow months, chose not to take the hobby seriously. I'm not referring to pet shop employees in general. It's only a matter of stating my opinion based on what I had observed in my area.

mr.bojangles 04-27-2007 11:16 PM

the ppl at pet stores actually have a really problem with ppl not doing ther reasearch. today wen i was working some1 asked me wat to feed ther zoos ... o we had a good laugh after that person left. if ppl did ther research u would make our job easier and we would not hav to spend as much time with each customer ... its busy days with stupid ppl that recs our judgement

also ... its impossible for a single person to hav kept every type of fish available ... so alot of wat we do is generallizatio, nothing can be gauranteed.

the trick is to find some1 u like at the store and work with them only