Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Deep Sand Bed for Filtration ??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/deep-sand-bed-filtration-54119/)

AaronCombs 10-22-2010 06:36 PM

Deep Sand Bed for Filtration ???

I'm curious, what is everyone's thought on Deep Sand Beds (DSB)... for the use of filtration on an aquarium.

Example, a 55 gallon DSB for a 110g setup.

For those who are unsure what a DSB is please see article:
Deep Sand Beds

I'm trying to decide if I want to use a DSB or not. If I do, I'll be altering my tank stand to show off the DSB at the base of the stand. So you can see the DSB in action. I'll probably go with a fold up door henge on top and bottom to work on the filtration system and pumps. However when shut you don't see the extra pvc piping and all that. I would also use an external pump to pump water back from bottom to top.

I'll do a sketch up later of the look however please give me some feedback. I'm curious... Now this doesn't mean I can't put a regular HOB on the 110 for assisted filtering. But it depends on how well the DSB functions. Remember DSB's would be fairly heavily planted. No fish in it. Just MTS's and Tupifex worms.

Anyways please give me some input if you have any or your thoughts.

Aaron

Byron 10-23-2010 01:44 PM

This is basically the purpose and working of any substrate in a healthy freshwater aquarium if it contains live plants. As that article explains, there is a complex level of activity ongoing in the substrate--or there should be, whatever the medium (sand, gravel, soil).

I think most members here would agree with me that if you are using real sand, it should not be deep since it is more likely to compact. On this point I would not agree with the article. This is one reason I use small-grain gravel; it is much less likely to compact, and water flow through the substrate--which is absolutely essential--is more certain to occur.

Byron.

AaronCombs 10-23-2010 01:53 PM

see i'm curious to how effective this setup would be... applied to a sump setup. For example, have a sump setup normally. With that, add a secondary line pulling water from the top tank to a secondary DSB tank. from there off to the sump. I'm curious to how it would effect the overall setup.

Generally speaking I have ran smaller DSB's however I would stir the sand to release gas pockets. This is before this article. that is.

I'm thinking I might take a 10 gal tank and to a mini setup and watch the levels. I'll have to keep some fish in it, so I'll probably drop some male guppies or swordtails in it. Just like 2-3 as a good section of the tank will be tanking up. I'll start setting this up soon. Just need to get some MTS and Tupifex worms. I have the rest.