Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Clouds!

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  IronGuppy 
#1 ·
I have a ten gallon tank with a male Dwarf Gourami, a few Neon Tetras, a couple Harlequin Rasporas, and a snail. I probably do half water changes every 3 days because the water gets really cloudy (not necisarily dirty) after one to two days.

I live in a dorm room so the water that is available is tap from the showers, which isn't exactly the safest to use, I know, but it's all I have. I do use water conditioner and I am very careful about how much I put in and making sure there is nothing else in the water before pouring it in.

My roommate has the exact same tank, slightly different set up, and also uses the tap water, but his tank stays crystal clear for about a month. He has 6 Molly fish, one Molly fry and a snail in it.

I'm trying to figure out why it gets so cloudy and what I can do to stop it.

I've considered that it could be:
•Sediment in the gravel
•The filter (which I replaced the carbon pack to and it's still happening)
•The specific faucet I am using for the water (which it isn't because I started using the same one that my roommate uses)

The tank has:
•A few fake plants
•A small fake rock
•A bubble stone
•Store-bought gravel
•Heater that came with tank
•Filter that came with tank
•Light that came with tank

Maybe I'm just dumb but I really can't figure out why it keeps doing this.
Somebody help me!

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like it is just a bacterial bloom, a natural part of the aquarium cycling process. All of my aquariums did this at some point in the early stages of having them set up, and they cleared up wonderfully by themselves over time.

Do you have test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

#5 ·
I agree, it is probably a bacterial bloom. You may be towards the end of your nitrogen cycle. Both of my tanks did this and after about a week or so, they both turned crystal clear.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
As long as you monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels and keep them at safe levels with water changes during the cycle, the fogginess will clear up on its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.