Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Neon Tetra's aren't getting along (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neon-tetras-arent-getting-along-54112/)

Biemowo 10-22-2010 05:59 PM

Neon Tetra's aren't getting along

I currently have 8 neon's in my 10gal, and just today I noticed they weren't simply schooling like normal, there was one that was bullying the others and nipping at them, several hours later they're all going after each other randomly every few minutes. Theres plenty of plants and a huge chunk of driftwood so I know they can't be freaked out from lack of hiding spaces. Anyone ever have this problem?

small fry 10-23-2010 07:54 AM

Bullying the others? Other species of fish? What kind of fish are they bullying?

Have you fed them regularly. I wouldn't know if that would be a fin nipping issue but maybe its worth putting that out there.

Alot of tetras nip fins of other fish. depending usually on the species. They will especially nip if they are in small numbers (less than 6). Well, post back what kind of fish they're nipping and maybe we can problem solve further. Hope this helps!

sik80 10-23-2010 09:35 AM

yes, I have this issue. I have 8 neons in a planted 47gal community and they are frequently aggressive to each other. They Chase and harrow each other now and again. I know that schooling fish have a social structure that they reinforce through aggression between each other, so I just assume it to be this rather than a significant problem.

I also used to have this issue with my glowlights, but they seem to have grown out of it as time has gone on

pixielou85 01-09-2011 01:13 PM

I too am having the exact same problem, they are not schooling as usual and they are going for each other and are nipping the fins of my poor little betta :(

Byron 01-09-2011 04:16 PM

"Chasing" each other can mean different things to different people. As someone mentioned, characins (the tetra species) are shoaling fish (live in large groups) and they interact within the group. "Play" may be a good description, or it may be spawning behaviour, or it may be aggression (mild or worse), all of which is perfectly normal.

If they are actually physically biting each other and tearing off bits of fin or scales, that is quite a different matter and not normal for this species. However, toward the Betta it is normal--pixielou85, I replied to that issue in your other thread so won't repeat all that here.

In a suitable environment (plants and bogwood are very suitable) the non-aggressive behaviour is normal and good to see, as it means they are "settled" and thus healthy. In this case, if the more aggressive behaviour is noted, it could be the small space; 10g is not much room even for 8 neons that should attain 1.5-plus inches. A 15 or 20g tank at 24 inches in length would be better if you can think down the road to something like that. Have a look at the info in our profile, click on the shaded name Paracheirodon innesi or Neon Tetra to see the profile.

Byron.

small fry 01-09-2011 08:45 PM

Yeah, my lemon tetras have "brawls" after I feed them. Don't really know why. One of them got ripped fins, but that was along time ago (before I had a big group), and that tetra died along time ago (not because of the brawl). Other than that, as far as I can tell, everyone is playing nicely.:-)