Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Nano Reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/)
-   -   Seeking testing and all other advice for my 10 gal. nano reef (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/nano-reef/seeking-testing-all-other-advice-my-54110/)

KMS1989 10-22-2010 03:55 PM

Seeking testing and all other advice for my 10 gal. nano reef

I just purchased a nano reef from a friend of mine that has been set up for about 1 1/2 yrs. I added a small colt coral, clownfish, and a scooter blenny. There is also a few aptasia(spell) anemone's growing. I also have a good cleaner crew. I was just wondering what kind of testing kits etc. I will need. It is 10 gallons and I have a backpack filter 2 small powerheads and a protein skimmer as well. I'm new to this but mezmorized by it and want to do well. Please any advice is greatly appreciated :-D

Thanx,
Kayla

badxgillen 10-22-2010 11:49 PM

Hello

i like the API test kits ....generaly speaking anything thats liquid or electric is more acurate than a strip....i advise against any strips.....remember that you need a high range PH test kit....and dont forget about the hydrometer...i prefer a refractometer...but this as well as th electric tests will be spendy...any other questions holler...

badxgillen 10-22-2010 11:55 PM

aptasia

you probably want to get rid of the aptasisa as soon as possible...there are a few chemicle methods..joes juice...aptasia X...these work....some people use lemon juice but i find this very difficult and impracticle in tight areas of the tank....i would recomend peppermint shrimp...or an aptasia eating file fish...PS any pics...

KMS1989 10-23-2010 02:24 PM

I do have a hydrometer and I've been keeping the water @ 1.022. Could I find an API testing kit where I purchased my fish? And Thanxx :-) Oh and I do have pics, but I can't figure out how to post them.http://c/Users/Smith/Pictures/Tank.jpg

badxgillen 10-23-2010 10:28 PM

pet store

you should be able to purchase the test at the pet store...and your salt is fine i like mine higher 023-025....but thats just me...i ususaly post my pics to my albums....

KMS1989 10-24-2010 12:18 AM

I looked into peppermint shrimp and aiptasia eating filefish and I think I'm gonna go with the shrimp. It seems more compatable with my tank and the things I would like to put in it in the future. Any advice you are willing to share is greatly appreciated even if not pertaining to this post, because this really facsinates me and I would definately like to build my tank up...Oh and thanxx 4 the comment on my clownfish:-D

badxgillen 10-24-2010 12:29 AM

shrimps

i like the shrimps as well...and for a ten it would be nice...even after the aptasia is gone they will feed of of regular fish foods and just about any algae or seaweed base product as well.....some times i put my hand in and they will clean my nails....it kinda tickles....many lysmata shrimps are cleaners....all look cool...the shrimps will be less expensive as well....be sure to aclimate them slowly ....preferably drip ....

badxgillen 10-24-2010 12:30 AM

lights

ask and i will try to answer...whatever the topic...what lights do you have running....i presume you want corals...

KMS1989 10-24-2010 12:54 AM

I don't have very good lighting right now... I can't quite remember what my friend was trying to tell me about it, but I am trying to get a piece of colt coral to attach to my rock. I do have some coraline algae growing right now. I'm very new to this...I have 2 energy lights like for a house...I dunno lol If you have any advice on what type of equipment I need that wld be great...I'm kinda on a fixed budjet @ the moment tho. I will not buy another firefish tho because my last one commited suicide:cry:

badxgillen 10-24-2010 01:13 AM

fire fish

yeah they are acomplished jumpers...and in a ten you should only have two if they are a pair anyways...there are other options...as for lights ...if they are CFLs compact flourescents...they had best be rated 6500K or better.....