Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Reg 10 gallon and 16" of fish...planted affect? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/reg-10-gallon-16-fish-planted-54088/)

Bluebirdnanny 10-22-2010 09:27 AM

Reg 10 gallon and 16" of fish...planted affect?

Ok so if 1" fish per 12 square inches of surface means TOTAL OF ALL fish in tank adult size is right. One must stick to small fish ...... If I convert my small tank to a planted tank (natural) how does that affect the fish capability of tank per that rule?

My cat loves CAT TV. She is trained to sit and watch from her stool..... no touch.

Calmwaters 10-22-2010 11:07 AM

The 1" per gallon rule is not a good way to stock your tank. It is a very old and incorrect method to use. In a 10 gallon tank you should stick to smaller fish such as Ember Tetra, Mosquito Rasbora, and Dwarf Corys just to name a few for a 10 gallon I would suggest a group of say 7-8 Ember Tetra and a group of 6 of one of either corydoras hastatus, corydoras pygmaeus, corydoras habrosus.

Bluebirdnanny 10-22-2010 12:32 PM

wow! I thought this was a different new formula. I assume that you mean 12 square inches of surface is the same as a gallon then? Thanks.

If anyone is in Michigan or can share 1-3 fry or plant trimmings I'd be indebted.

I am working on 300. dollars a month and medically disabled. My fish tanks were my Depression busters in the past and I am still in withdrawel of the multitank house I used to have until divorced. I want them back soooo badly. Bad when you used to breed and sell to stores and now have only 10 tank and 1 fish caught from a neighbors pond (permission of course).

I soooo want back into fish keeping! At least I can look at your tanks. And read all these posts. Eventually maybe I can get back into multi tanks. Sorry just thought you might understand the wish to continue fishkeeping even though I can no longer work and buy what I want to stock them.

Calmwaters 10-22-2010 12:51 PM

Opps my bad I read the first part of you first post read. Sorry the meds I take for my back makes me sleepy. LOL I am not familiar with the rule you state. How ever I am not in Michigan but I may in a couple months be able to send you some clippings from my plants once they grow out a little more. I understand your need for the tanks they are my relaxtation to. ; )

buckmanrules 10-22-2010 06:12 PM

Bluebirdnanny, If you could put together enough to pay shipping of $16 I would gladly send you a small variety of fish. I'm a tropical fish grower in FL. I mostly grow livebearers and Plecos. I've always got something set for delivery...tommorrow is painted marigold swords, pineapple swords, gold dust mollies, red wag platies, neon sunburst mickey mouse platys, silver mollies,lyretail black mollies, red wag swords...you get the idea. I hurt my back and have been unemployed since 2008. Took the fish hobby to a whole new level (72 ponds, 15 1000 gal vats, 36 200 gal vats, 300 tanks) Let me know if I can help!

Calmwaters 10-22-2010 09:09 PM

Buckman I would love to see some pictures of your fish exspecially the painted marigold swords, gold dust mollies, and neon sunburst mickey mouse platys I have never seen those colors but they sound beautiful.

aunt kymmie 10-22-2010 09:49 PM

+1 on pics! I'd love to see the grounds where all your ponds are. It sounds fantastic. I love Florida. :-D

buckmanrules 10-23-2010 06:55 AM

My digital camera does not take very good photos of my fish in tanks. I have a terrible time witrh focus. I have noit yet figured out how to put a photo on a message. I'll try to put a couple on my albums. Smiles!

Bluebirdnanny 10-23-2010 08:26 AM

Oh wow thanks Amanda!

Buckman I may be in contact with you later. Right now I don't have enough for utilities and my medications let alone fish. Though as soon as I can....you will hear.

Calmwaters 10-23-2010 06:47 PM

No problem Nanny.