Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Hooked guppies (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/hooked-guppies-5403/)

Mirta 04-27-2007 01:28 PM

Hooked guppies

Hi!

Has anyone ever confronted such a phenomenon as crooked or hooked guppies?

Once I bought a number of guppies. They were obviously one family and mainly quite small in size. Two larger females were slightly crooked, and they bent more and more; they didn't live long. Later, some smaller ones developed into adults and one or two grew crooked again. They both died shortly as well. Since then I haven't observed any crooked ones in the herd. I bought some more from a different stock and they all had babies.

I wonder what that crookedness could mean. Maybe it was some hereditary disease or could it be some acquired illness, a parasite? I should add that those crooked ones had not been developing normally. They had started off as very thin, starved-looking fishes.

lioness501 04-27-2007 03:39 PM

is it possible that they were inbred? i have heard that sometimes inbreds can b deformed? just an idea

Mirta 04-27-2007 04:03 PM

I think that must be it! Then I should separate them probably.

lioness501 04-27-2007 04:20 PM

as soon as they become sexually mature they should be seperated if they r from the same family. i spose u dont know how old they r? if u can tell the sex then i suggest u seperate them.

Mirta 04-28-2007 05:27 AM

We have got two tanks now and as soon as we set up the new one I will catch all the males out and put them separately in the new tank and probably buy some females. They are quite small, apparently for the same reason, but I have some different stock there, so things should straighten up. Those we have left (plenty) look smallish but lively and healthy. The new ones also enjoy their company.

I like guppies but they are demanding in their own way!

Thank you for your help!

lioness501 04-30-2007 03:24 AM

no worries i have 4 adult guppies and 20 fry i love them!!! not sure wat in gonna do with them yet tho lol. good luck :)

Mirta 05-03-2007 02:29 PM

Well, we cannot fish them out for food, so let them live! I am planning to add some strangers to their family yet, because I love the little ones too and I want them to be healthy.

ttmmm2001 05-29-2007 02:23 AM

i have noticed that some strains of guppies appear to be bred this way. Especially ones with large tails, i think the weight of their huge abnormal tail seems to make their body curve as if it is weighing them down.

Personally i think breeding them that way is a bad idea, i don't see how that can be healthy for them and probly causes pain and poor swimming.

If that is not the case, then it could be as others have suggested that it is a inbreeding defect. I know it sounds cruel, but you really should cull ( kill or get rid of ) the babies that display those traits.

Keeping your guppies healthy will be worth it. Besides, your guppies will make PLENTY of babies to replace the ones you have to cull. And it will keep the guppy as a whole species from decaying to the point where people cant enjoy them anymore.

One idea if you cant seem to put up with just killing them, get a bigger fish that will eat them. That way they aren't wasted, they are giving your big fish a tasty snack. Just be sure your guppies are healthy, never feed a diseased fish to any other fish as you may pass on the disease.

Hope that helps =)

gatitagirl 09-25-2007 08:08 PM

It's genetic, if u have any left form the crooked ones and they breed u can have more crooked backs.