Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   noone told me about cycling!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/noone-told-me-about-cycling-53978/)

ghostgirl 10-20-2010 10:21 AM

noone told me about cycling!!

When I got my tank I had gotten a sales person to help me. I told him I was new at this and I didn't know a whole lot. He just told me to get one of the tank sets that comes with the filter and heater add the water conditioner and wait 48 hours before adding any fish. That was it! I'm really mad at him because he just wanted me to buy my crap and get out. I test my water daily and whenever anything get to high I would do a water change and it helped. But I couln't figure out why the Nitrites and Nitrates were so high. Everything is doing good now and my Ghosts are eating now and they seem happy but I could have harmed them. Yes partly my fault I should have done some research first but I also thought I was just going to get some goldfish or guppies and it wasn't a big deal. (even though I have now lost 2 guppies and a tetra) I know why I lost them at least now. When I get my new 130 gallon tank for my ghosts I know what I have to do. I would complain to management or someone but I know that wouldn't do anygood.

sik80 10-20-2010 10:35 AM

judging from what people say on here, the advice given by LFSs is often wildly inacurate and misinformed. That why online learning is pretty essential before starting a tank these days and why TFK is such a great resource.

Calmwaters 10-20-2010 10:52 AM

I am glad you have learned from your mistake and have found us so we can help you out. Good luck with your fish.

ghostgirl 10-20-2010 11:09 AM

thanks

I'm definately happy that I have found this and other sites. When I do get my new tank I am going to be enlisting some help from seasoned tankers to make sure I am doing everything just right. After all I love my fish more than my dogs. They don't keep us up fighting, biting company and biting my son. Anyone want a chihuahua?

Calmwaters 10-20-2010 11:12 AM

LOL We will be happy to help as long as you give us pictures because we love seeing peoples tanks and fish.

ghostgirl 10-20-2010 12:46 PM

i have some in my album on my profile. I have a 13 month old that is not letting me put them in my aquarium thing

Romad 10-20-2010 08:38 PM

You're not alone. Most people start the way you did and then find a forum like this when they can't figure out why their fish are dying. We learn from the lfs employee mistakes and move on.

Just think, with your next tank you'll be a pro :)

mcb5522 10-25-2010 02:55 PM

I learned from my friend who is a forum junkie and went to him everytime i had a question. you should ask your questions here. You will learn so much more from here then the people thats work at petsmart and petco. They just want to sell chemicals and things that you really dont need. Be concious of the room you give your fish and dont overcrowd. that will give you chemical problems.

Calmwaters 10-25-2010 05:49 PM

mcb5522- Welcome and were glad you found us.

zof 10-25-2010 07:34 PM

Welcome, and actually I'm surprised more places dont tell customers about cycling, it makes an excellent opportunity to sell seed material or some of those instant cycle products. I guess they think too much information will just put the customer off.