Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Should I put down my Swordtail today? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/should-i-put-down-my-swordtail-53971/)

small fry 10-20-2010 08:25 AM

Should I put down my Swordtail today?

Hi. My female Swordtail, Auraques, hasn't eaten in almost a week. She has been in my 1.5 gallon hospital tank for the last 8 hours. She has suffered from multiple cases of mouthrot (that stuff comes back everytime I take it off of the fungus medication). Right now she just sits on the bare floor of the hospital tank upside-down. She doesn't swim execpt when I scrare her (which isn't on purpose). I hononestly think she doesn't have any kind of a chance whatsoever.

Should I put her down? This wouldn't be the first time I've had to put down a fish. I want to give her every chance I give I can give her, but I don't want to be cruel. This thread doesn't really require expertise, just opinion. I want to be the best fish owner I can be. Sorry for such a diffecult topic. Opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.

kitten_penang 10-20-2010 08:29 AM

so many days without food and in a different environment with meds must have zapped out all her energy.i think it's very slim it will survive.putting it to sleep maybe a good idea

Redknee 10-20-2010 10:45 AM

Try feeding her fry food. Very small fry food. The mouthrot can be a huge pain when trying to feed so maybe very small food can help.
But if you way the rot comes back again and again... Perhaps mercy is the best way to go about it... Just make sure it does not hurt and it is fast.

small fry 10-20-2010 12:57 PM

Hello everyone. I've tried feeding her today. Everytype of fish food I had. Right now she is extremely darty. First real movement since I netted her out of my 10 gallon tank. I think it is the direct sunlight. Not ideal but the only place in my room for a hosptital tank. She still hasn't eaten anything. Maybe her boost in activity will give her the strength she needs to eat.

I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, though. She still seems so confused and "out of it." I am using Jungle Fungus Clear. It gets my fish active again but it is basicly like life support to my tank. Once the medicine wears off, back to mouthrot.:-( This method is getting old. If anyone has ever treated mouthrot I would like to know how you cured it. Thanks.

I will most assuredly post if any progress is made. Thank you all for posting so far. Your imput is appreciated.

kitten_penang 10-20-2010 02:16 PM

i use the intrepet range for severe cases of fungus or fin rot and it has worked wonders for me. imo pls stay away from melafix.

small fry 10-20-2010 02:31 PM

It was hard to understand that last post. I, being relatively new to TFK and fish forums in general, aren't very good with abbreviations.

Did you want me not to use Melafix? I have but I haven't used it yet. And I didn't understand the part about the "intrepet range for severe cases of fungus or fin rot." Sometimes I don't get things the first time, but I am still relatively new to fish (June 15th 2010).

I belive time for suggestions is quickly running out. I will probably put her down tonight if I can't find out a way to improve her situation. Thanks for all the post so far! I will post back if the situation improves.

kitten_penang 10-20-2010 02:49 PM

imo means in my opinion and yes i din't want you to use melafix. i do hope things go well.

buzzbee 10-20-2010 02:52 PM

i vote you take care of the fish live until it dies of natural causes

kitten_penang 10-20-2010 02:55 PM

poor fish i gonna suffer a lot =S

small fry 10-20-2010 11:16 PM

Hi, guys. Auraques is still alive. I don't she will die of the diesase, I think if I let her live she will die of starvation. I plan on putting her down sometime tomorrow morning if nothing improves. Any opinions will be considered and appreciated. Thanks.