Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Wood? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/wood-53923/)

Calmwaters 10-19-2010 01:13 PM

Wood?

Hi there I am haveing a hard time finding a piece of drift wood like I want to go in my shrimp tank to put java moss on. I have a picture of what I want in my mind but can not seem to find it anywhere. What I want to know is can I not just take a small piece of wood that has fallen out of a tree, strip the bark, boil it then put it in the tank? I found a piece in the yard which is just want I want but I am not sure if its ok.

SinCrisis 10-19-2010 01:27 PM

yes, u might need to let it get waterlogged but boiling it should make it safe. u want to also check for rotting

Calmwaters 10-19-2010 01:38 PM

Is there a certain type of wood that would be better? The piece I have in mind is I believe is poplar.

Redknee 10-19-2010 04:39 PM

Mangroves make good aquarium wood, i have been using them for a while now and there are no bad surprises with them.
A bit of a boil, some microwaving if they are small nuff if not bakem in the oven for 15 mins at 200+ celsius(not sure how much that is in F) and they should be perfect.

Calmwaters 10-19-2010 08:10 PM

I don't have Mangrove trees here. LOL

Russell 10-19-2010 08:57 PM

Poplars are hardwoods so they should be fine. When referring to hard and soft woods, hardwoods rely on dense growth and tough bark or sap to deter pests while softwoods rely on oils and natural pesticides. Some softwoods are considerably physically hard (some cedars) while some hardwoods are considerably soft. While hardwoods can be safely placed in the aquarium when still leeching this should be avoided for true softwoods as the natural pesticides may be harmful to your aquarium residents. I know this is a long answer but, I didn't want people following along to misunderstand the difference between hard and soft woods. As with all wood, scrub all dirt and rot off with a stiff bristle brush and boil or bake to cure.

Calmwaters 10-19-2010 09:13 PM

Thank you Russell for explaining it so clearly for me. I will make sure with my dad that it is poplar before I use it he know the trees better than I do. ; )

Byron 10-19-2010 10:13 PM

Agree on hardwood only, and definitely remove all bark. And, it must be thoroughly dry, not still fresh off the tree. Ironic that you must then waterlog it, but if it is not dry, all sorts of stuff can leech out that the drying process gets rid of. I am not aware that drying fresh wood in the oven solves this aspect of the process; once dry, it serves to rid the wood of parasites, insects, worms, whatever, same as boiling. The "drying' naturally of wood removes all sap, oils, etc.

Redknee 10-20-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 495944)
I don't have Mangrove trees here. LOL

They sell roots in petshops.

Calmwaters 10-20-2010 09:53 AM

Redknee-Yes I know that but I have been to the 4 shops here and they do not have what I am looking for. I have also looked on aguabid and ebay and still not found what I want.
Byron how do I know the wood is dry? I guess I could look in my dads wood pile that has been cut a year or more that should be dry enough right?