Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   snails everywhere! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/snails-everywhere-53898/)

surfnchk 10-18-2010 07:56 PM

snails everywhere!

Hi everyone!
I have a community tank and only one mystery snail (gold). About a month ago I noticed one small brown snail. I noticed though 2 nights ago that there are now about a dozen or probably more little brown snails everywhere! I have no idea where they came from! I don't have live plans in my tank so I doubt they hitched a ride that way. Does anyone know where they came from and or what to do with them?

GreenPlanet 10-18-2010 08:06 PM

Maybe from Gravel or Rock had snail egg.

zof 10-18-2010 08:09 PM

Probably pond snails they could have came in with a fish it might have just been so small you couldn't see it, they are a pain to get rid of but they aren't really a bad thing, they will consume left over food and other stuff so unless you really don't like them you might as well live with them. If you cut down on the extra food it should help to control their numbers.

surfnchk 10-18-2010 08:12 PM

Yes they are incredibly hard to see. I just don't want them to over run my tank. Right now it's not a problem. Besides the controlling the feeding, what happens if there are just so many of them? Do some fish eat snails?

zof 10-18-2010 08:17 PM

Yea some fish will eat snails but I believe most of them are pretty large fish, a better natural option would be to use assassin snails they are snails that eat other snails , they are pretty hard to find but some places online have them sweetaquatics.com is one.

surfnchk 10-18-2010 08:39 PM

Thanks for such quick replies! I think I'll look into the assassin snails if/when they get outta control. My friend has big cichlids and enjoy some snails. Thanks though!

car0linab0y 10-18-2010 08:52 PM

cuccumber... leave a piece in the tank over night, pull it out full of snails in the morning. repeat as needed.

GreenPlanet 10-18-2010 09:33 PM

Clowns,Yoyo loaches , Gourami They should work.

redchigh 10-19-2010 03:09 PM

Don't worry about adding fish to eat snails.

If you control the food supply, they absolutely will not overpopulate.
If you overfeed, they absolutely will.

If you don't think you're overfeeding, but the snails are multiplying like crazy, then you really are overfeeding.

The only times I have snail outbreaks is when I have fry. (I'll admit- I tend to overfeed my fry.)

After the fry grow up, the snail population shrinks.

dfbiggs 10-19-2010 03:56 PM

I have found if you keep on them you can get rid of them without buying anything that will eat them. Of course this is easier if you have less plants/ objects in your tank. During a cleaning if you take the time to pick all of the hundreds out or crush the tiny ones you can keep the numbers down. Then you want to keep an eye out for the clear jelly egg sacks normally in corners or on plants. I literally had hundreds and took the time to do this once..it will keep them in check.