Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Amazon Swords dying? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/amazon-swords-dying-53884/)

Cutar 10-18-2010 04:45 PM

Amazon Swords dying?

I have 2 amazon swords and a java fern in a 10 gallon tank and the swords are dying. The java fern is fine. I have been using the tetra fertilizer and everything. I have a plant light too. I dont know what the problem is..help?

SinCrisis 10-18-2010 05:36 PM

are they new, if so it might just be acclimation, if not then you need fertilizer probably. The tetra liquid ferts do nothing for swords, swords are root plants so they need root tabs or sticks that u put into the gravel.

Cutar 10-18-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 495109)
are they new, if so it might just be acclimation, if not then you need fertilizer probably. The tetra liquid ferts do nothing for swords, swords are root plants so they need root tabs or sticks that u put into the gravel.

They are about a month old. They have always been a little brown though. And I didnt know that about root tabs

Byron 10-18-2010 08:45 PM

Just want to make sure we are considering all essentials, as the balance in a planted aquarium is multi-faceted.

First, what exactly is your light? It's a 10g, so I assume incandescent (screw-in bulbs) and not fluorescent tubes? How many bulbs, and what type (make, watts, kelvin rating, everything you can tell us will help).

Second, root fert is good for swords but not essential if a good liquid is being added sufficiently; I've had thriving tanks of several species of Echinodorus (swords) for 20 years and only once for one year did I use root fertilizers and while it did make a difference, they grew and are again growing well without. The Tetra fert is presumably FloraPride; their website says it contains "a combination of nutrients including potassium and iron" but they don't say what else is in it in the way of nutrients, which leaves me skeptical. When I know more about your light, I may have further advice on using this fert with or without root fertilizer.

Byron.

fishkid 10-18-2010 08:53 PM

Swords are indeed mainly root feeders, but they will take nutrients from the water as well. I don't think the Tetra fertilizer is that great, try using Seachem Flourish. Also, what lights do you have and how deep is your substrate? If your lights aren't very strong, you won't need fertilizers.

Cutar 10-18-2010 10:43 PM

Actually the light that I have is a fluorescent light. I believe it is this light, Zoo Med T-8 Flora Sun Max Plant Growth Fluorescent Bulb at PETCO

The substrate is about 1 inch deep give or take a little.

fishkid 10-19-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutar (Post 495327)
Actually the light that I have is a fluorescent light. I believe it is this light, Zoo Med T-8 Flora Sun Max Plant Growth Fluorescent Bulb at PETCO

You'll want a full spectrum light, the light you posted gives off mainly red and purple light which helps plant growth but is not good by itself. Also, the substrate seems a bit shallow for swords, which will outgrow your tank anyways if they survive.

Calmwaters 10-19-2010 10:28 AM

Could you show us pictures of your plants?

redchigh 10-19-2010 11:55 AM

Yep, florapride is a bit lacking...

Ingredients:
Potassium Sulfate, EDTA, Iron Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, DPTA, Ammonium Heptamolybdate, with Demineralized Water.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Soluble Potash (K2O) 3.00% Iron (Fe) 0.19% Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0005%

Might want to look for some flourish comprehensive.

Byron 10-19-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutar (Post 495327)

I have tried several of the ZooMed tubes, the full spectrum ones are very good and less money plus they use less energy. But not the Flor-Sun. The best single tube is their Ultra Sun, it is equivalent to the Life-Glo 2 in spectrum and intensity. Tropic Sun is more in the red which still works but yellows the overall colour more than the Tropic Sun.

Re the substrate, you need more for swords, they have extensive root systems. The pygmy chain swords can manage in 1 inch, but not the other larger species. You can have 1+ inch at the front, and grade the gravel deeper toward the back where the larger swords would be planted, so you have 3 inches. Or build up terraces with bits of flattish rock or wood and plant the swords in the deeper substrate.

Byron.