Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   got my endlers wooo!!! :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/got-my-endlers-wooo-53830/)

fryup 10-17-2010 03:35 PM

got my endlers wooo!!! :)

went to the pet shop tday and got 3 male 7 female and 3 fry that were in the tank :)
il get pics asap

i got 2 wild type colours and a blue endler (i think its a hybrid)
and the females are colourless

:):):)

Marginatus 10-17-2010 05:56 PM

I'm really interested in the blue one, they're usually called Japan blue endlers/endler hybrids and look incredible. I'm looking into the genetics of this blue colouration and if I remember correctly it's linked to the pink gene.

As it happens the majority of endlers you'll buy in shops are not pure wild stock but have some other genes mixed in. Having said that I'm increasingly of the belief that they are just a particularly unique strain of wild Guppy rather than a different species so perhaps the term hybrid may not be entirely accurate.

I look forward to seeing the pics. Good luck, they're very hard to photograph.

eatmysox 10-17-2010 08:31 PM

My lfs calls the blue ones, japenese blue swordtail guppys, I am pretty sure my fry are cross bred with them so I will probably sell them and make sure my endlers stay as purebred as they can be.

fryup 10-18-2010 02:44 AM

yes iv been looking on line and its identical to the japan bleu but iv seen it called a jamacan blue endler....hes not interested in the females tho but i woke up this morning to 4 fry :D:D:D

biokid101 10-18-2010 06:23 PM

OMG! congrats!!!!!!!!!! if only i lived by u!!! thats alot of fish lol! :D

Mikaila31 10-18-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marginatus (Post 494608)
I'm really interested in the blue one, they're usually called Japan blue endlers/endler hybrids and look incredible. I'm looking into the genetics of this blue colouration and if I remember correctly it's linked to the pink gene.

As it happens the majority of endlers you'll buy in shops are not pure wild stock but have some other genes mixed in. Having said that I'm increasingly of the belief that they are just a particularly unique strain of wild Guppy rather than a different species so perhaps the term hybrid may not be entirely accurate.

I look forward to seeing the pics. Good luck, they're very hard to photograph.

Sorry, but I disagree. A pure bred endler, a wild type guppy, and a hybrid endler/guppy are all quite different in appearance.

GreenPlanet 10-18-2010 09:14 PM

Wow lots of fish :D

fryup 10-19-2010 03:12 AM

i still think its a hybrid, but i dnt think il get fry from him, iv never seen him try mate with the females :):):)

Marginatus 10-19-2010 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 495290)
Sorry, but I disagree. A pure bred endler, a wild type guppy, and a hybrid endler/guppy are all quite different in appearance.

There are more that disagree with me than agree so no problem. It is just semantics after all and they are very closely related so whether they a seperate species, a sub-species or regional variant it doesn't really matter too much to me. The classification of species is something science has never perfected, there are lots of grey areas. I'll always treat them as just another type of Guppy because to all intents and purposes that's what they are.

Marginatus 10-19-2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryup (Post 495431)
i still think its a hybrid, but i dnt think il get fry from him, iv never seen him try mate with the females :):):)

Oh you will at some point. I've found that some males will only try to mate with particular females, I've found that some of my endlers won't attempt to mate with larger fancy females although they will with the more juvenile ones.

If you really want to breed him you can seperate him with 2-3 juvenile females and when they become sexually mature he will almost certainly breed with them, I'd put money on it.