Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Bad to have a shadowed area? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bad-have-shadowed-area-53702/)

Castro235 10-15-2010 10:19 AM

Bad to have a shadowed area?

Hey everyone, I've had a 40 gallon long tank set up for probably less than two months, right now it is only housing rosy red minnows, but soon I should finally be able to set it up as a high current tank for hillstream loaches.

My question though is about the lighting for the tank.

I originally had two 24" lights across the top, but needed to borrow one of them for a 15 gallon tank I set up, so the 40g has been set up for awhile now with just one half of the tank lit, and I almost want to keep the tank this way.

The fish seem to enjoy going over to the shadowed area a little more than the lit section, and I'm not concerned about plant growth or anything, so I was just curious if theres any negative consequence to this(other than people thinking it doesn't look as good)

The fish seem happy, and the tank seems to still be healthy, but I figured I might as well still ask the experts!

Thanks

Calmwaters 10-15-2010 10:28 AM

As long as you like it and the fish like it I don't see any problem with it. I take it you do not have real plants since you said you were not worried about them growing right?

sik80 10-15-2010 10:32 AM

many fish species will feel safe and secure in the shadows, so i don't see a problem

Castro235 10-15-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 493004)
As long as you like it and the fish like it I don't see any problem with it. I take it you do not have real plants since you said you were not worried about them growing right?

I actually have quite a few real plants, but they are low maintenance and have seemed to be doing just fine.

I have bacopa, java moss, jave fern, and some crazy sword plant that I got in one of those little "grow your own plants from bulbs" things you see everywhere.

I also have a large swirly bamboo stalk that seems to be growing faster than any other bamboo I've had, but I don't have anything with high light or temperature requirements, so the light doesnt concern me in that sense.

Calmwaters 10-15-2010 12:30 PM

Oh yeah those are easy plants they will be fine with the setup.

SinCrisis 10-15-2010 12:55 PM

is yours real bamboo? really thick stalks? or "lkucky" bamboo, the really thin stalks? The latter is not a fully aquatic plant and will rot after a while if the leaves are not exposed to air.

Castro235 10-15-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SinCrisis (Post 493119)
is yours real bamboo? really thick stalks? or "lkucky" bamboo, the really thin stalks? The latter is not a fully aquatic plant and will rot after a while if the leaves are not exposed to air.

The swirly stalk bamboo I have is roughly the same diameter as the lucky bamboo stumps I usually see, I couldn't find much info about bamboo in the aquarium, but the leaves are actually above the water line with ease now, so it would be fine I'm assuming?

SinCrisis 10-15-2010 04:18 PM

Yea, my last one was all submerged and it got soft and mushy and died. I looked around online and found that the stalk is submersible but the leaves need to be in contact with air so its not a true aquatic plant