Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help! added fish store water to tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-added-fish-store-water-tank-53701/)

tydas 10-15-2010 11:15 AM

Help! added fish store water to tank

Hi, I just started new tank and it is fully cycled after about 6 weeks..when i added some fish i put the water from store in tank instead of netting them out? any precautions I should take?

Calmwaters 10-15-2010 11:33 AM

First welcome to the forum. You just need to keep an eye on the fish like you normally would for any signs of diease stress ect. While it is not recommended to add the water from the store to your tank you will probably be ok. How big is your tank? What kind of fish did you get? Do you have any other fish in the tank? Oh and we love pictures if you can post one. LOL If it makes you feel better you could do a partial water change.

tydas 10-15-2010 11:57 AM

its a 27 gallon square, i have 2 neon blue gouramis, 6 neon tetra and 4 corys, lighted planted with some low tech plants

Calmwaters 10-15-2010 01:53 PM

Sounds good any chance we can see a picture? I just love looking at peoples tanks. LOL

Romad 10-15-2010 03:06 PM

If your lfs had good/disease free conditions you'll probably be ok. Just keep a close eye on the tank.

And if you added all of those fish at once, you're probably going to have an ammonia spike. Test the water daily and change the water accordingly if that happens. Even though you were cycled, you added a big bioload to the tank and your good bacteria might have a hard time keeping up with the waste.

Good luck.

tydas 10-15-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 493151)
If your lfs had good/disease free conditions you'll probably be ok. Just keep a close eye on the tank.

And if you added all of those fish at once, you're probably going to have an ammonia spike. Test the water daily and change the water accordingly if that happens. Even though you were cycled, you added a big bioload to the tank and your good bacteria might have a hard time keeping up with the waste.

Good luck.

Sorry, one correction, the six neons have been in the tank for about 10 days

SinCrisis 10-15-2010 04:45 PM

Well neons have a small bioload, especially juveniles u get from the store so an ammonia spike wont be too big. my petco recently hired an "expert" who actually is an expert and the tanks there have been fantastically clean since so ive poured a little of that water into my tank each time i get new fish or plants
and ive never had any problems.

Romad 10-15-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tydas (Post 493179)
Sorry, one correction, the six neons have been in the tank for about 10 days

You're probably going to be ok. Still check the water daily to be safe.

tydas 10-17-2010 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the tank

Attachment 18419

lostperspective 10-17-2010 10:05 AM

Your tank is beautiful!
Could you list what the plants are? =)

Also good luck with the shop tank water. =/ I did that too with my fish.. ^___^;;
They're all fine though (well. apart from the problems I've been having with getting the tank to recycle..) so hopefully yours will be too!