Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Making tap water safe (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/making-tap-water-safe-5369/)

FishN00b 04-26-2007 04:13 AM

Making tap water safe

When performing a water change, does the water need to be treated before its added to the tank ? Can the safe guard be added to the tank after the water's been added?

The reason I ask, If I want to perform a 25% water change of a 70 litre tank, I need a container of some sort to hold 17.5 litres of water. Not only that, trying to lift a container holding 17.5 litres of water is pretty hard whilst trying to add water to the tank without causing mini tsunamis in the tank. Is there an easier way of adding the water to the tank?

The "Safe-guard" that I use says "1 cap ful for 36 litres". for 18 litres its half a cap, but its not that easy to gauge. How harmful is it to the fish if the dose of "Safe-guard" is not exact?

sxcsamman 04-26-2007 04:25 AM

if your using buckets to get water into the tank and the water conditioner to the buckets

Falina 04-26-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sxcsamman
if your using buckets to get water into the tank and the water conditioner to the buckets

As I understand he doesn't want to use buckets as they're heavy and he doesn't have them so the question was is it alright just to add the conditioner to the tank after the water has been added, and about the accurancy of the dosing.

You may or may not have seen my thread on dechlorinator, in any case I've only started using it, so I don't know the answer I'm afraid, but just thoguht I would clear that up.

jones57742 04-26-2007 06:18 AM

Re: Making tap water safe

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishN00b
When performing a water change, does the water need to be treated before its added to the tank ? Can the safe guard be added to the tank after the water's been added?

I do most WC's with RO water but once a month I do a significant WC with tap water.

I add the dechlorinator directly to the tank and then induce the tap water

I use approximately 1.5 times the recommended dosage of dechlorinator.

I have never observed a problem with my fish subsequent to a tap water WC.

TR

FishN00b 04-26-2007 07:46 AM

What is RO water? Excuse my ignorance! :)

Lupin 04-26-2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishN00b
What is RO water? Excuse my ignorance! :)

Reverse Osmosis. Tapwater has been stripped off its minerals or trace elements hence it is advisable to mix tapwater and RO water when adding RO water to your tank. Mineral salts are also commercially available to replenish the minerals lost.

FishN00b 04-26-2007 10:32 AM

Is Reverse Osmosis a product or a process?

What benefits are achieved by adding minerals to your water ?

JouteiMike 04-26-2007 10:42 AM

Reverse Osmosis is a process, but there are products available to convert tap water into RO/Deionized/Distilled water. I believe you can also buy the water already prepared, but in the long run it would save money to buy the product to convert the water.

People use RO water because it is free of any contaminants that could be found in regular tap water. But tap water does have some advantage, it has minerals (electrolytes) present in it that are beneficial to fish. They help maintain the osmotic balance of the fish versus the surrounding water.

FishN00b 04-26-2007 10:48 AM

Thats interesting to know, thanks :)

One last question before I continue to bore the socks of the forum members, once I've added the "Safe Guard" to the tap water. How long will I have to wait before its safe to add the water? The guidelines on the bottle do not specify a time.

I've read somewhere that if you overdose on the "Safe Guard" or similar, it can kill some of the beneficial bacteria in the tank?

JouteiMike 04-26-2007 10:59 AM

It should be fine to add right away. I add my conditioner directly into the aquarium during my water changes when using my Python.

I'm not sure about killing the beneficial bacteria, but I do know it is bad to overdose with water conditioner. It could lower the oxygen in the water, the fish will have an excessive slime coat, and it could reek havoc on the fish's gill function.