Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Red Ludwigia epic fail (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/red-ludwigia-epic-fail-53679/)

Blaxicanlatino 10-14-2010 10:15 PM

Red Ludwigia epic fail

I bought some red ludwigia about a month ago for my 10 gallon, 30 watt tank. the substrate is black flourite sand with microsword carpet. The bottom of the stems turn brown and fall apart. why does this happen? no co2 injection. 2 guppys, 5 cherry shrimps, 3 baby african cichlids( they are taken care of dont worry).

any suggestions? thanks ^^

Inga 10-15-2010 06:42 AM

My guess is not enough light. Ludwigia seems to need more light then some of the other plants. At least that is what I was told when I questioned about mine. Mine didn't die right off, it took several months of just barely hanging on. It never got red and it didn't grow, it just sort of sat there. I think it would have done better in a tank with more light. I did fertilize 2 times a week with Seachems Flourish comprehensive supplement.

Byron 10-16-2010 02:08 PM

Ludwigia is not an easy plant. There is at least one other thread here on problems growing it, with a couple responses from different members having similar problems. I don't know which exact species you might have (there are several), but only one, Ludwigia repens, is relatively "easy" to maintain in aquaria. It tolerates soft or hard water, moderate light, but requires good nutrients. The leaves are olive green to reddish, underside green or wine red.

All other species, including the bright red varieties, require soft water, high light, and good nutrients.

Having said that, all stem plants will frequently lose lower leaves, primarily due to less light reaching them. Increasing the tank lighting is not always the answer, since lower leaves are naturally going to be somewhat shaded by the normal growth of stem plants. The options are to plant other plants in front that will remain low and hide the bare lower stems, or plant the stem plant behind objects like wood or rock.

Blaxicanlatino 10-16-2010 10:16 PM

the plant is growing fast but the bottom stem rots away. its weird. the top leaves have a nice red tine and purple underneathe with a waxy glossy look that looks real nice but then at the bottom it literally blackens and rots away.

redchigh 10-19-2010 11:28 AM

Are the stems too close together? If you planted them in a 'bunch', then that will happen. Spread them out a little bit more. (and cut off the bottoms while you're at it.)

kitten_penang 10-19-2010 12:39 PM

i find if they are bunched together and wrapped with floss they ten to melt at the bottom

Blaxicanlatino 10-20-2010 04:42 PM

each stem is seperated within leaf distance. I cut they melting part away but it just happens again. I also dose with seach floruish