Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My new Angelfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-new-angelfish-53666/)

eileen 10-14-2010 07:00 PM

My new Angelfish

1 Attachment(s)
I got a new angelfish last monday. I lost my other angelfish to a hole in the head and I only have 14 fish in my big 55 gal. FW community tank. I wanted to get 1 angelfish but might get another one. This one is in a QT tank and I'm feeding it immune booster flakes for 1 week and then dewormer flakes for 1 week just to be safe before adding it to my coummunity tank. I got the medicated flake food from www.Angelsplus.com. It will be with 5 Harlequen Rasboras, 5 Red Von Rio Congo tetras, 2 Blonde guppy females, 1 LF Brn Bushy nosed pleco and 1 yo yo loach. It will enjoy all the room and all my live plants in that tank. It looks to be a Gold Marbled angelfish but my friend thinks it is a Koi. It has a yellow gold head spot and it black mixed with white. If anybody knows what kind it is please let me know.

LisaC144 10-14-2010 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Eileen, your Angelfish looks like mine. I call him a koi like your friend said. He/she going to be beautiful as it grows! Sorry about your loss, but congrats on finding a beauty! I love the one black and one white ventral fin as well. Mine has the same thing. Here's a picture of mine taken last week. Oh, the white dots are Daphia fed 5 minutes before the photo was taken.

Garfisher 10-14-2010 07:15 PM

thats a very nice looking angelfish, never seen one coloured like that before

eileen 10-14-2010 07:34 PM

Lisa, do you have more then the 1 angelfish? I'm not sure if I should get another one or not. I got 2 angelfish one time and had to take one back as they were picking on each other. I just love angelfish as they come up to the glass when you walk by and are really social for a fish. I used to use one of those lazier pointers and the angelfish I used to have followed it around like my cat. Thanks for letting me know what kind it is. Your's does look like mine. I just have to figure out a name for this one. I can't tell if it is a boy or girl as it's only about 2" and is not that big yet.

LisaC144 10-14-2010 07:42 PM

Actually, funny you should ask. I have a male/female mated pair. I wasn't planning on a mated pair and was freaked out when I got home one day and saw these clear dots on my leaves. I thought it was a fungus and it took me a minute to realize they were eggs. They now breed every few weeks. The fry made it to the free-swimming stage once, but in a community tank the eggs get eaten quickly. Especially now that the other fish are aware of when there are eggs.

Check out my avatar. That's actually the female tending to a clutch of eggs.

eileen 10-14-2010 08:06 PM

I'm really not interested in breeding angels as I have red scarlet endlers in my 20 gal. and baby fry in my 10 gal. I have no room or want to get anymore tanks . I have 1 QT tank, 1 small 6 gal. in my kitchen, 1 small 3 gal. bow front next to my computer with red cherry shrimps, 20 gal with endlers, platies, cat fish, assassin snails, amano shrimps and my 55 gal. tank. You are lucky to get a mated pair as they will not fight or pick on each other and get along. My 2 endler females in my big tank had babies that I saved in my 10 gal. but I can't keep them all every month that's where the angelfish and other community fish come in handy to keep the numbers down. I know someone at my tropical fish club and his angelfish had over 100 fry. You would need a big tank to raise that many babies.

LisaC144 10-14-2010 08:42 PM

I wasn't interested in a breeding pair either, which is why I let nature run its course in my tank regarding the eggs. Fry will NEVER make it large enough to live in my tank, so I really don't have much to worry about with being over run with fry. It is quite fascinating to observe the breeding behavior though. I posted a video I caught of my Angels laying eggs and fertilizing, and another one of fry making it tothe free-swimming stage. That was a neat experience to witness.

aunt kymmie 10-14-2010 08:42 PM

Your new Angel is a beauty, congrats! :-)
Do you still need a home for your solo yoyo? I have one for him, if you want...

eileen 10-14-2010 09:33 PM

Kym, I rehomed the one yo yo loach when I took my bubblebee platies for store credit. Sorry if I knew you wanted it I would have saved it for you. It was very hard to catch it . It took 3 days of trying to catch it before I was lucky so I decided to take it to Kahoot's pet store at the same time when I took the platies.

I wish Redchigh would get back to me as the pkg. of 2 assassin snails, 100 of what ever tiny snails and 6 endler fry I sent him he got today looking at the tracking#. I just hope he got everything ok and none of the fish or snails died. He did not e-mail me back or PM me back even though I asked to let me know when he got his pkg.

aunt kymmie 10-15-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 492775)
Kym, I rehomed the one yo yo loach when I took my bubblebee platies for store credit. Sorry if I knew you wanted it I would have saved it for you. It was very hard to catch it . It took 3 days of trying to catch it before I was lucky so I decided to take it to Kahoot's pet store at the same time when I took the platies.

I wish Redchigh would get back to me as the pkg. of 2 assassin snails, 100 of what ever tiny snails and 6 endler fry I sent him he got today looking at the tracking#. I just hope he got everything ok and none of the fish or snails died. He did not e-mail me back or PM me back even though I asked to let me know when he got his pkg.

Okay, it's time for me to hit the hay. I could have sworn that I just read that you had one yoyo in your 55 a post prior in this thread, but now I go back to see where I saw it and there is no such thing! You must think I'm an idiot!

As far as Redchigh- odd that you never heard from him. I pm'ed him earlier and never heard back from him, which isn't usual. I wonder what's up with him?? :-?