Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My Either/Or Question (any Acrylic owners?) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-either-question-any-acrylic-owners-5364/)

Mr.Todd 04-26-2007 01:13 AM

My Either/Or Question (any Acrylic owners?)

Acrylic Vs. Glass

Ok, I can get a 46 Gallon Acrylic or a 72 Gallon Class aquarium for the same price... Which would you go with?

Thanks... :P :P :P

Lupin 04-26-2007 01:52 AM

Latter. The choice is still yours but you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages between the tanks you are contemplating.

Reasons:
1. 72 gallons is just as cheap as the acrylic so you have free bigger area when compared to a 46 gallons. Your choice of fish is far bigger with a 72 gallons than a 46 gallons
2. Unless you are doing any plumbing, stick with glass.
3. Acrylic scratches easily.

Falina 04-26-2007 04:14 AM

To answer the question of "any acrylic owners?"...

I had an acrylic tank. It got really scratched down the bottom near the gravel, and also elsewhere though I don't even know how.

Anyway, as I said, where the gravel was started to look really bad and eventually I got rid of it. It wasn't new when I got it, so I couldn't say how long they would last - it might be years and years, but I'd still go with the glass, especially since it's the same price and much bigger.

sxcsamman 04-26-2007 04:23 AM

get the glass cos its bigger which gives u more fish options :lol: :lol:

jones57742 04-26-2007 06:09 AM

Re: My Either/Or Question (any Acrylic owners?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Todd
Acrylic Vs. Glass

Ok, I can get a 46 Gallon Acrylic or a 72 Gallon Class aquarium for the same price... Which would you go with?

Thanks... :P :P :P

Glass!!!

I speak from significant $'s experience.

TR

Mr.Todd 04-26-2007 11:14 AM

The forum has spoken! THANK YOU ALL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andyandsue 04-26-2007 05:34 PM

I agree, glass is better... but I have acrylic. Lightweight, perfect size and shape for my tank location. I also thought safer for my kids to be around. No scratches to speak of really. If the situation permitted, I would go with glass though.

Gump 04-27-2007 01:21 PM

150 gallons or more acrylic, less get glass.

herefishy 04-27-2007 06:47 PM

Glass.

Elahrairah 04-27-2007 07:55 PM

good question!

I am suprised at the responses. I am going to upgrade soon (to 70 gal or so) and was going to go acrylic. Now I don't know.

My main things leading me to acrylic were: lighter weight, view from corner, and the most important, no fear of a quick shatter and a flood of water and dying fish on the floor....

Other than scratching, is there any other concern? Scratches can be polished out and yellowing is not a factor on new aquariums I believe.

Thanks.