Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   My 55 gallon planted tank is finally coming along! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/my-55-gallon-planted-tank-finally-53565/)

Cornelius1208 10-13-2010 03:40 AM

My 55 gallon planted tank is finally coming along!

1 Attachment(s)
My tank as of a few days ago. After much help from the forum, the plants are finally making a comeback and are growing quite nicely. I hope it continues getting better and better!

tanker 10-13-2010 05:11 AM

That looks really good.

You'll probably be surprised how quickly your plants will grow. It was only from taking photos that I saw how quickly everything took off in my new tank.

1077 10-13-2010 05:13 AM

I like the look of your tank, especially the use of wood and rock.
The broad leafed plants buried in the substrate at the front on each end, appear to be possibly Anubia. I have found that they grow a little better attached to the wood or rocks with fishing line or thread until the roots attach to the wood/rock.
If the roots of Anubia are buried too deeply, the roots begin to slowly rot and the plant begins to suffer and eventually dies.

Cornelius1208 10-14-2010 11:57 PM

Yea I've been taking progressive photos for almost a year now and you're right; you don't really notice the change until you look back on the pictures! haha
And thanks, I knew Anubias could be attached to something, but I didn't know it was better for them to bet attached to something. My anubias' roots aren't planted deeply at all, but I will probably tie a rock to them with fishing line like you suggested.

eileen 10-15-2010 12:07 AM

I love your tank. It will just look better once the plants grow in. I like how you used sand and a black background it really makes the plants look good. I have sand and a black background in all my tanks. I will never use gravel again since using pool filter sand.

LisaC144 10-15-2010 09:00 AM

WOW! that is going to look awesome in just a few short months. Nice job planting and laying out the driftwood. I agree though. Your Anubias needs to be tied to something, but other than that, a big :thumbsup: to you my friend! Looking forward to watching to progress of your tank really take off!

Cornelius1208 10-15-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 492851)
I love your tank. It will just look better once the plants grow in. I like how you used sand and a black background it really makes the plants look good. I have sand and a black background in all my tanks. I will never use gravel again since using pool filter sand.

Thank you very much! I love the black background because it brings out the color of everything in my tank, and I love how it simulates infinite depth as well. I'll never use gravel again as well; I say the exact same thing! Sand is definitely the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 492954)
WOW! that is going to look awesome in just a few short months. Nice job planting and laying out the driftwood. I agree though. Your Anubias needs to be tied to something, but other than that, a big :thumbsup: to you my friend! Looking forward to watching to progress of your tank really take off!

Thanks! It looks like I better get on tying those plants to something. haha Is it ok if I tie them to a rock and then bury the rock in the sand, as long as it's not very deep?

jeaninel 10-15-2010 11:02 AM

Yes, you could do that as long as the rhizome is above the substrate.

Excellent tank by the way.

scalar 10-19-2010 11:20 AM

nice like the way the wood is placed.great job on the tank

kitten_penang 10-19-2010 11:54 AM

for a new tank it looks way better then mine