Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Trapdoor Snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/trapdoor-snails-5351/)

MattD 04-25-2007 05:04 PM

Trapdoor Snails?

Hello.

My local shop just got some trapdoor snails in, and upon further investigation, I read that Trapdoor snails do not breed as heavily or as often as other FW inverts that I considered buying (like the Asian FW Clam, for example).

Is this true? If I purchased one or two trapdoor snails, will I be surprised to find an infestation? Any advice is appreciated.

Trishfish 04-25-2007 05:28 PM

Japanese trapdoors? They're a kind of Viviparus and are livebearing snails, which is really neat. It's unlikely they will overrun your tank because they usually only have little ones a few times a year.

fish_4_all 04-25-2007 06:39 PM

Only thing I can same about mine is he is boring. Very seldom moves around like the mysteries and ramshorns do. Could be because he is huge and might be old but just not a very attractive nor active snail in my short experience with him.

MattD 04-25-2007 09:58 PM

Ok, then forget the Trapdoors. I'd like a snail that moves around, so it's interesting to observe.

Ram's horns and Mystery snails are better? I'd appreciate any additional info on these two, particularly as to whether or not they breed frivolously. I'd do the research myself but I have a date with my girlfriend and I'm late as it is!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

fish_4_all 04-26-2007 12:34 AM

The small ramshorns or pond snails will breed like wildfire if the conditions are right. Colombian ramshorns bred some but the eggs were easy to find and to remove so controlling them would be easy. Mystery snails would be the easiest because if you ever do get eggs they will be above the water line and very obvious and easy to remove.

Don't give up on the trap door. They can be very fun to watch from what I heard but I would make sure to get young ones.

MattD 04-26-2007 11:04 AM

Thanks. I really want a Trapdoor snail, their shells are just so attractive.

The only other snail I suppose I would consider would be the mystery then. I'm looking for easy breeding control. :wink:

Trishfish 04-26-2007 04:26 PM

Mystery snails (pomacea bridgesii) get my vote. They can grow to the size of a golfball and are very active. And adorable! They also come in many different colors like blue, dark striped purple, magenta, gold, olive, burgandy...I think there's 30 colors now. They'll clean up your tank but can't live on algae alone. I feed them squash, zucchini, green beans and peas every day. Just cook and plop them in the tank before bed. Remove any leftovers in the morning. They also eat flake, shrimp pellets, algae wafers, etc.

Crof 04-30-2007 11:00 AM

All I can say is I bought two trapdoor snails and within a week I had about 10! I removed one of the adult snails and tried to remove all of the babies but they just keep on appearing! Does any1 know if they're hermaphrodites? Because I don't have a clue where they're all coming from.

Trishfish 04-30-2007 08:25 PM

Japanese trapdoors are not hermaphrodite, but the femals can store sperm and give birth a few months down the road.

fish_4_all 05-04-2007 03:12 PM

Well my trapdoos have finally decided to do some moving around and they aren't so boring after all. If I have younger ones, maybe the size of a marble or a little larger I think they would move alot more and eat a lot more. Mine are old and show signs of it so I think they come out, eat and then rest for a while to regenerate their shells.

Also, someone told me that to tell the females form the males, look at their eye stalks. The males, which I think is what I have have out turned eye stalks where the female is supposed to have in turned eye stalks, in other words they turn in toward each other to hold the live babies so she can clean them off.