Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   My Planned Tank Setup (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-planned-tank-setup-53508/)

The Game 10-12-2010 02:18 AM

My Planned Tank Setup

Ok guys, some of you may have seen my other posts asking how some fish will be together. I think I know what I want to get. I already have the tank all set up. It is a 3ft tank with a sand substrate and rice growing. I will plant some other types of plants (not decided yet) and I will add a piece of driftwood. Landscaping isn't completely decided yet. I would like to have 5 female betta splendens, 3 bronze corydoras, 3 peppered corydoras, 6 kuhli loaches, 1 ramshorn snail and maybe a bristlenose pleco if the ramshorn snail can't handle the algae. Any suggestions are welcome. I know that corydoras should be kept in groups of around 4 or more of the same species but some say that it should be ok. If this is not ok, then I will just buy 5 of either the peppered or bronze. If this is the case, please tell me which one is better as they are both great looking fishes. Someone has to make the decision for me. :-D
I entered in all this on aqadvisor, a great site for thsoe that don't know about it, it calculates how much you can stock your tank with fish, just try it out and you'll know what I'm talking about. Anyways, here's the link with my planned setup, AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor .
If everything is all good, then everything should be all set up by December and I will include a picture of what hopefully will be a successfull and great looking tank. Thanks for any help.

tanker 10-12-2010 05:08 AM

My thoughts:

I think you'd need a bigger tank to have a bristlenose.

Do Kuhli loaches live down the bottom? If so, you've got a lot of bottom-dwellers there. The cories get quite big once you've got them in your tank. They aren't little like the ones in the shops. I'd be inclined to have either the kuhli loaches or the cories, not both, if they are both bottom-dwelling fish.

AqAdvisor has your selection at 118% tank stocking level. I've thought that AqAdvisor was quite generous in how many fish it allows, so I'd consider having fewer fish than you've selected.

Have you got a backup plan in case the female bettas try to kill each other? Although they aren't like the males, as I understand it, you can get aggression issues depending on the fish.

The Game 10-12-2010 05:20 AM

oh i like bottom dwelling fish and the female fighters are actually part of a project. Im planning to add on all the extra fish after the project is over.

Calmwaters 10-12-2010 10:29 AM

Your female bettas will be fine but you need to make sure they have lots of plants and hidding places. They will form a pecking order and 5 is a good number to make sure one does not get picked on in excess. Its best if you add them all at one time that way there is not one or two that already has set territorys picked out. I to would suggest doing either corys or kuli loaches but not both. If you want to see them then you should go with the corys. They are very active and alot of fun to watch.

The Game 10-13-2010 02:16 AM

May I just ask why not corys and kuhlis? I really like them both and I want the kuhlis to dig around in the substrate so I dont get any anaerobic action going on but I also want to see how fun the corys are. I cant get any MTS here in Australia if you were going to reccommend them for aerating the soil. The substrate is quite deep, around 2 inches, so plenty of space to dig through.

1077 10-13-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Game (Post 491597)
May I just ask why not corys and kuhlis? I really like them both and I want the kuhlis to dig around in the substrate so I dont get any anaerobic action going on but I also want to see how fun the corys are. I cant get any MTS here in Australia if you were going to reccommend them for aerating the soil. The substrate is quite deep, around 2 inches, so plenty of space to dig through.

Two competeing bottom feeders often results in one species being short changed with respect to food. The Kuhli loaches are often times shy and reclusive where the cory's are always on the lookout for something to eat.
Trying to feed both species could result in too much food being offered and water quality issues between weekly water changes.
The Kuhli loaches will not be able to compete for their share of food with a shoal of much more active cory's in my opinion/ expieriences with both.
Not saying you can't do as you wish ,just trying to provide you with info which you may wish to consider.

The Game 10-13-2010 02:59 AM

oh ok thats a fair explaination. Corys eat vegies yea? Could I just try feeding them vegies while the kuhlis eat the shrimp pellets. Im also introducing the corys first, would I be able to train them to eat from one side of the tank and the kuhlis from the other side. If this is so, which side would the corys or kuhlis prefer, the side with the filter or the side without. I may even try hiding some shrimp pellets where the kuhlis like to hide or maybe in an area that only they can squeeze into, itll be their own little private restaurant.

1077 10-13-2010 03:37 AM

[quote=The Game;491607]oh ok thats a fair explaination. Corys eat vegies yea? Could I just try feeding them vegies while the kuhlis eat the shrimp pellets. Im also introducing the corys first, would I be able to train them to eat from one side of the tank and the kuhlis from the other side. If this is so, which side would the corys or kuhlis prefer, the side with the filter or the side without. I may even try hiding some shrimp pellets where the kuhlis like to hide or maybe in an area that only they can squeeze into, itll be their own little private restaurant.

Both species will go where the food is and it is doubtful that they would/will remain in one area. Both are omnivores and will eat/need a wide range of foods. Same with the Bristlenose you mentioned earlier.
Bristlenose will also need some driftwood to help with digestive process and creating an area of wood and or rocks will make the kuhli loaches feel more secure but in all probability result in seeing less of them as well.
Researching the fishes needs with respect to diets and tank layout is always a good idea .Don't take one or two opinions before performing your own research. Google is your friend.;-)

The Game 10-13-2010 04:57 AM

LOL google. Well I've actually done my research quite a bit already. I also read that given enough hiding places, the kuhli loaches will be more active, like it makes them more secure and gives them the knowledge that if a threat were to approach, they would have multiple hiding/escape options. I really want to have a natural look and landscape. I also want to provide my fishes with hiding spots but I can't think of how to create these. Ive seen heaps of little ornament castles and the likes of those, but if theres one thing I hate, its little ornaments or plastic plants. Im going to have a piece of driftwood, the biggest that I can find and afford but how else can I provide hiding spots? You mentioned rocks, what kind of rocks are you talking about and how do I arrange them? Any plants that you would reccommend too? Im still quite intent on having the kuhli loaches and peppered corydoras (LOL i made up my mind on which one I wanted). I know that this is quite stubborn of me. However, Im going to closely monitor the loaches and corys and see if both species is getting enough food. If the kuhlis arent getting their food, then Im going to move the corys into another tank, even though I really want them in that tank with the nice sand substrate that they love. Should I introduce the corys or loaches into the tank first or is both at the same time the good way to go. LOL I know thats a lot of questions and thanks for answering my previous questions. :D

1077 10-13-2010 05:41 AM

[quote=The Game;491617]LOL google. Well I've actually done my research quite a bit already. I also read that given enough hiding places, the kuhli loaches will be more active, like it makes them more secure and gives them the knowledge that if a threat were to approach, they would have multiple hiding/escape options. I really want to have a natural look and landscape. I also want to provide my fishes with hiding spots but I can't think of how to create these. Ive seen heaps of little ornament castles and the likes of those, but if theres one thing I hate, its little ornaments or plastic plants. Im going to have a piece of driftwood, the biggest that I can find and afford but how else can I provide hiding spots? You mentioned rocks, what kind of rocks are you talking about and how do I arrange them? Any plants that you would reccommend too? Im still quite intent on having the kuhli loaches and peppered corydoras (LOL i made up my mind on which one I wanted). I know that this is quite stubborn of me. However, Im going to closely monitor the loaches and corys and see if both species is getting enough food. If the kuhlis arent getting their food, then Im going to move the corys into another tank, even though I really want them in that tank with the nice sand substrate that they love. Should I introduce the corys or loaches into the tank first or is both at the same time the good way to go. LOL I know thats a lot of questions and thanks for answering my previous questions. :D[/quote

Yes ,you are wise to provide several resting areas ,or places of refuge. The more areas ,the more likely the loaches as well as the cory's ,will be to venture out. With just one such place,,they will spend the majority of time in that one place.
Were it me,, i would use perhaps sevral medium pieces of wood along with the large piece. I would visit local landscape stores and search for smooth fist sized river stones and perhaps some pieces of slate,and or flagstone. I would arrange the smooth river stones in a couple piles with wood laying up next to the stones and then perhaps place some flat pieces of the slate or flagstone across the river stones and or wood to create a couple such areas.
You'll find that the rocks mentioned are relatively cheap compared to the plastic caves and such ,which I too dislike.
Is important to select smooth river stones and ensure there are no sharp edges to injure the fish. Smooth river stones are also more likely to be safe with respect to not altering your water chemisrty. Some rocks contain minerals that will alter your water and possibly increase the hardness which you don't want.
Smooth stones are usually formed by years of water rushing over them and are less likely to leach substances into the tank and are less likely to cause discomfort for the fish/loaches.
For plant's, I would begin with Anubia's which you can tie to the wood or rock with thread until the roots attach themselves . Would also consider four or five Crypt plants that can grow well with low to moderate light so long as you don't move them too much (maybe never?).Java fern would work also.
Wide leaf sagittaria or vallisneria would also work and could be placed behind the wood,rock, (vallisneria) or midground for the sagittaria.(just my opinion)
These are all things I would explore, and you can /should expieriment until you find what pleases you, as well as what works best for your particular tank with regards to placement of wood,rocks,plants.
Just be sure to rinse everything well before using it in the aquarium and perhaps boil the smaller pieces of wood before using unless you don't mind tannin stained water.(DON"T BOIL ROCKS)
Were it me,,I would place the kuhli loaches first followed by the cory's after ten to fourteen days. Don't add them all at once lest the biological filter not be able to keep up with the sudden demand .Good Luck!