Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Coral Questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/coral-questions-53469/)

maleci 10-11-2010 02:43 PM

Coral Questions

I have had an aquacultured Evergreen Starburst Polyp (Briareum sp.)for about and it seemed to be doing fine. About a week ago half of the colony seemed to have just disappeared with no warning. Water chemistry all checked out and I am unsure what happened. Today I went home at lunch and noticed one of my ricordea also disappeared. It looks like they were eaten by something but I am not sure what would harass them. Currently my tank has a cleaner shrimp, 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny, snails for the cuc, 2 blue legged hermits, and an ora mandarin. All of which should have been reef safe from my research. Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

pretzelsz 10-12-2010 05:32 AM

I have seen this on other forums before. Usually the culprit is a giant black crab...but they also would eat the shrimp. Do you test for alk? That may be the problem...also if you don't spot feed the corals every once in awhile.

I am no expert but that is what I think might be the problem.

maleci 10-12-2010 07:55 AM

Well the Ricordea and shrimp were just added this weekend and when I did prearrival tests alk was checking out good. I did some more research after the initial post and kinda think it's a crab too. Last night I setup a crab trap made from a pop bottle with the top inverted and some frozen mysis in it. When I checked it before work all I had were some of the snails from my CUC trapped. Also I do spot feed the corals usually 2-3 times a week. Any suggestions for a better way to catch the crab if that is the cause?

maleci 10-13-2010 08:50 AM

Ok, last night was night 2 with crab traps out and no luck. I have one of the inverted pop bottles which seemed to only trap some of the snails from my CUC and the highball glass with shrimp leaned against the rock that didn't catch anything. I watch the tank a fair amount at night with the moonlights on and have yet to actually see any crabs or anything. Does anyone have any other ideas?

maleci 10-14-2010 08:10 AM

Ok I've had crab traps out for 3 nights now with no results. However, last night I saw some snails crawling over some of the rics and the green starburst polyp. The snails were a nerite and a cerith, is there any reason they would have possibly gone rogue and started to eat corals?

pretzelsz 10-14-2010 02:33 PM

If snails and shrimp don't have enough food they may turn to other sources so maybe but might not be likely... It's a mystery to me. Maybe the corals aren't getting enough food too... if you don't already try spot feeding every once in awhile.

badxgillen 10-14-2010 11:42 PM

hmmm

obviously a hitchiker...i have had a cowrie that did just what you are talking about...except it was with yellow polyps...keep us posted...hope you find the culprit...