Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Ludwigia rotting :[ (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/ludwigia-rotting-53455/)

allikins 10-11-2010 09:54 AM

Ludwigia rotting :[

It seems that some of the stems on my ludwigia is rotting. :[ They're turning brown and break off with a slight pull. Can I trim them off below the rotting point and still expect it to grow back? How can I fix my poor plant?

Angel079 10-11-2010 11:03 AM

Did you just buy them?

Trim them! Let's say the bottom of the stem starts rotting then give it some spare room along the stem and then pinch them off, plant the pinched off parts (with space inbetween) in the gravel they will root down that way.
If your tops are rotten, pinch of the tops and leave the stem in the gravel to root down better.

allikins 10-11-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 490400)
Did you just buy them?

Trim them! Let's say the bottom of the stem starts rotting then give it some spare room along the stem and then pinch them off, plant the pinched off parts (with space inbetween) in the gravel they will root down that way.
If your tops are rotten, pinch of the tops and leave the stem in the gravel to root down better.

Yeah, it's all mostly my tops. I have the roots in the gravel but the leaves and the tops of 'em are all gettin' yucky. I bought 'em on the 1st.

kitten_penang 10-11-2010 04:53 PM

give more lighting???

allikins 10-11-2010 04:54 PM

How much do I need? I have two 10 watt CFLs. :[

kitten_penang 10-11-2010 05:00 PM

how big is your tank??? plants rot for 3 reasons. 1 not enough light,2 not enough fert and 3 algae grows on he leaves and kill it causing it to rot.

allikins 10-11-2010 08:05 PM

10 gallon.
I've been dosing every five days with Seachem Flourish comprehensive. I need to get root tabs. I don't know if it's algae. I haven't had my tank for that long.
The lightbulbs are 10 watt 6500k daylight CFLS. Forgot that part. ;x

allikins 10-11-2010 08:07 PM

My banana plants are doing pretty well. They're both getting new sprouts and the current leaves are coming in huge. Not too sure on the anubias.... I think my tank my have algae. Iunno.
I noticed the anubias as some brown on some of the leaves. Some leaves also look kinda variegated. o.O Can underwater plants... do that?

kitten_penang 10-12-2010 02:52 AM

yup they can.sometimes it's spot algae. low light plants that get too much light can get spot algae but ostly the ottos,snails, pleco or shrimps will take care of it.

allikins 10-12-2010 06:15 AM

I'll try to get a good picture of my plants to give a better idea.