Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Crazie.Eddie: Hand feeding discus (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/crazie-eddie-hand-feeding-discus-534/)

crazie.eddie 09-19-2006 05:51 PM

Crazie.Eddie: Hand feeding discus

Here's a video of my discus eating bloodworms from my hands. Later, the angel joins in.

Discus hand feeding...
High quality (High speed required)
Low quality (Low speed, Alternate site)

Lupin 09-20-2006 12:31 AM

Eddie! I love your discus. They look nicer in appearance than mine. :love:
What size are they? Mine's only about 8 cm at the moment.

You don't have any problems keeping angels and discus together?
I don't have issues keeping both of them in my case.:mrgreen:

Your praecox rainbows and harlies don't seem to approach your bloodworms.:crazy: Whereas mine used to be before they died.:blueworry:
You would be surprised that my praecox rainbows were the only fish killed by columnaris.:blueworry:

crazie.eddie 09-20-2006 02:34 AM

Thanks. I got the Red Melons (one you saw eating) cheap, and they are about 10-12cm. The guy selling them was moving to another country, so he sold them to me for $20 each. Normally at that price and type of discus, I would be expected to pay around $50-$60 (USD). He had bigger red turqs, but the one I wanted was mating with another discus, which they would not seperate.

What kind of discus did you get? How many?

Quote:

You don't have any problems keeping angels and discus together?
I don't have issues keeping both of them in my case.
I don't have a problem with my angels and discus together, though it's rather weird. I have 2 angels, one with all white ventral fins, the other has one vent white, the other vent black. I had both of them since they were both about 4cm, now they 10-12 cm.

Before I got the discus, the one with Black/white ventral fins was the bully. It was an aggressive eater and the first one to swim to the surface towards me when it sees me, since it knew it was feeding time. It liked staying on the left side of the tank, chasing any fish, except for the clown loaches and gold nugget pleco, away from that side. The other angel doesn't like it's attitude and they would often challenge each other, but still the black/white one would win. The strange thing is, at times, I would often see them swimming together throughout the tank.

So when I moved the discus over to the 125 gallon (473 liter) tank, I moved black/white angel into another tank, becuase I was worred about the aggression towards the discus. The other angel (all white vent) was fine. Got along with the discus, no aggression of any kind.

Eventually, I moved the black/white angel to the 125 gallon tank, along with the discus. Both angels challenged each other, as I expected. The strangest thing was the all white angel became the aggressor and only challenges the bully discus :D

Quote:

Your praecox rainbows and harlies don't seem to approach your bloodworms.
They do, but they just don't like my hand being in the tank.

Lupin 09-20-2006 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazie.eddie
What kind of discus did you get? How many?

8 discus. 1 was for free and is not really a good specimen(Royal Snakeskin).:roll:
I got 3 Golden Hifin Pigeon, 2 Cobalt Blue, 2 Royal Snakeskin and 1 Blue Diamond.
Only 6 are doing quite well and have been chasing each other.:crazy:

They're weird. They flip on one side and slid under the bogwood just to rest.:blueshake: The first time I see that, I freaked out.:blink: But as days passed, I gradually calmed down from seeing it assuming nothing wrong with happen.

Well, Emma(bristlenose) began to take over the territory and will harassed my discus. The 2nd dominant discus suffered deep gashes but they healed quickly.:dunno:
Stupid bristlenose!:redmad:

Quote:

I had both of them since they were both about 4cm, now they 10-12 cm.

That small?:blink: Impressive.:thumbsup: Never had luck before(5 years ago) in raising that size of angelfish.
I bought angelfish measuring only about 5 cm last month. They're now over 9 cm. Fast growers.:crazy:

As for praecox rainbows, that's strange.:squint: Mine tend to feed on my hands. I don't have praecox now as all succumb to columnaris.:blueworry:

However, I'm getting 3 blue rams tomorrow at an inch size.:welldone: Better get done with the job of adding more hiding places tonight.:crazy::wink2:

crazie.eddie 09-20-2006 03:37 AM

Yeah, the only brave ones in the tank are the red melons and black/white ventral finned angel. The black/white angel is cautious at first and will approach slowly, but if I don't make any sudden movements, it will come closer. The red melons don't get scared with sudden movements and will actually let me touch them, which is kind of funny. One of the reds actually charged at my hand, which scared me, when I was placing the veggie clip in the tank.

Quote:

8 discus. 1 was for free and is not really a good specimen(Royal Snakeskin).
I got 3 Golden Hifin Pigeon, 2 Cobalt Blue, 2 Royal Snakeskin and 1 Blue Diamond.
Only 6 are doing quite well and have been chasing each other.
I'm surprised you haven't started a new thread with their pics.

Quote:

They're weird. They flip on one side and slid under the bogwood just to rest.Shaking The first time I see that, I freaked out.Blink But as days passed, I gradually calmed down from seeing it assuming nothing wrong with happen.
How strong is the current in the tank?

Lupin 09-20-2006 03:40 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised you haven't started a new thread with their pics.

Because I haven't bought a set of batteries for my digicam.:mrgreen:
Quote:

How strong is the current in the tank?

My tank doesn't run a filter which makes currents. My filtration system is more of trickle filter. Just trickles of water and low powered airpump(has modes of high or low but I chose low).
The tank is quite quiet and less water movements. All are coexisting well with no problems.
My discus are doing that probably because they aren't contented of their hiding places. When some of them sleep, they wedge themselves under the bogwood and sleep flat.:crazy: That's weird.:mrgreen: Been doing that since August 16.
They are quite active for a regal moving discus. :dunno:

Blimey! How things get stranger each day.

crazie.eddie 09-27-2006 10:54 PM

Just did another video of handfeeding the fish. This time I got to touch them.

Discus hand feeding...
High quality (High speed required)
Low quality (Low speed, Alternate site)

jsm11482 09-27-2006 10:58 PM

I can't wait to get my discus!!

jsm11482 09-27-2006 11:02 PM

Going back to my dads on saturday and hope to bring the cabinet home with me, going to lfs this friday to pick up all my fun things! Then I have to wait for the cycle :squint: - which is why I setup my 15gal a month ago so I could jump start the cycle. I will move the filter from the 15gal to the 90gal.

Lupin 09-27-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsm11482
Going back to my dads on saturday and hope to bring the cabinet home with me, going to lfs this friday to pick up all my fun things! Then I have to wait for the cycle :squint: - which is why I setup my 15gal a month ago so I could jump start the cycle. I will move the filter from the 15gal to the 90gal.

Sounds like you'll have fun shopping.:thumbsup: