Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Ich (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/ich-53387/)

PRichs87 10-10-2010 02:19 PM

Ich

Hi All,

I have a 29 gallon tank with good readings-

7500k lighting, plants, sand substrate, Aqueon QuietFlow 30, Heater

1 German Ram
5 black phatom tetra
4 panda cories
6 zebra danios
and ghost shrimp - multiple

My Ram has developed ICH :cry:.

I need to get rid of this so hopefully I don't lose fish, but I cannot use salt in my tank due to my cories. Any suggestions? I currently am turning the temperature up and it is at 82 F.

What else can I do because I cannot add salt?

Thanks! :-)

aunt kymmie 10-10-2010 02:58 PM

If it were me (and it's not) I would treat with either Aquarisol or Kordon's Rid Ich at half strength, and half strength only. Cories are very sensitive to meds (and salt, as you already know) so using at only 1/2 the required dose will keep the cories safe from harm. Treat with meds, according to the label, and continue to treat for 72 hours AFTER the LAST visible white spot has been seen. Also, I would not crank the heat on the tank, I'd leave it right where you normally keep it. It'll be less stress for your fish that way. Remove any carbon from your filters while medicating. After you have finished with the treatment protocol you can do a huge water change and add the carbon back to the tank so it can suck up any remaining medication residual. HTH and good luck with treatment. Lucky for all of us Ich is highly treatable. :-)

PRichs87 10-10-2010 04:06 PM

Thanks Aunt Kymmie! I was debating with the heat crank or the treatments, I'm still worried about the cories, as they are pandas and cost me a fair amount of money, more than my ram did.

aunt kymmie 10-10-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 489819)
Thanks Aunt Kymmie! I was debating with the heat crank or the treatments, I'm still worried about the cories, as they are pandas and cost me a fair amount of money, more than my ram did.

Well, for what it's worth I've got fish that I also paid ALOT of money for and I still don't worry when treating for Ich. My fish will also NOT tolerate salt/ hi heat and the meds have always worked for me with NO fish loss. I think it'll be fine. :-)

PRichs87 10-11-2010 10:30 AM

So far no one is super stressed from the meds, I ended up getting Aquari-Sol (thanks for the suggestion kymmie). It's only day two though, hopefully I can defeat my first case of ICH!

aunt kymmie 10-11-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRichs87 (Post 490356)
So far no one is super stressed from the meds, I ended up getting Aquari-Sol (thanks for the suggestion kymmie). It's only day two though, hopefully I can defeat my first case of ICH!

I'm very confident that you will defeat it. Keep us updated on your progress. I'm glad you were able to find the Aquari-Sol. :-)

PRichs87 10-11-2010 02:59 PM

The Ram is acting odd, staying in one place near the top of my tank in a dead zone where there is no water movement. Is this normal for a fish with ich? I did my second days worth of treatment.

He really has a lot of spots now

PRichs87 10-11-2010 03:11 PM

Do i need to do water changes during these treatments? The bottle doesn't say...

Forgot to say in the previous post: all my other fish are acting normal.

PRichs87 10-22-2010 06:29 PM

Still treating my tank for ICH, only one fish has it left on him. I skipped my PWC last week hoping to get rid of the ICH faster with the build up of Aquari-Sol.

Am I supposed to do regular PWC during my ICH treatments?

jeaninel 10-22-2010 07:09 PM

I haven't used the Aquarisol but when I treated Ich with Quick Cure I did partial water changes every 3rd day.