Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Wanting to get some Neon Tetras need some infomation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/wanting-get-some-neon-tetras-need-53353/)

bettabuddyq 10-09-2010 08:11 PM

Wanting to get some Neon Tetras need some infomation

Hey Everybody! I was wanting to get some neon tetras and get a 10 gallon tank while I'm at it. Right now i have a Betta in a 5 gallon and would like to incorporate him into the new tank. He is relatively calm so i don't know if he will mind having company. I already have a Tetra 10i filter so i will not be needing a new one. Going to purchase a 50w heater for my 5 gallon since my other heater broke so that should also work right?

Now i have some concerns about getting Neon Tetras. First of all i know they might breed because i will have at least 5-6 in the 10 gallon tank. The thing is i don't have any space what so ever to house 50 babies. The maximum tank size i am comfortable with is 15 gallons, but i really don't want anything bigger than 10. Is there a way to reduce the chance of them have in babies? Next, how much coverage must i provide in terms of plants. I don't want real ones i find that to be too much work. My final concern is Neon Tetra Disease. I know if i get a Tetra that already has it I'm screwed. But after how do i prevent it. Clean water is a must i know that, but is there anything else i should look for>

fish joey 10-09-2010 08:28 PM

afraid to say it out loud but I have not had any major deaths....or babies..I am having really good luck with the neons .....I recently added celestial pearl danios all super little fish perfect for that size tank.......I love watching them...... they are on my kitchen counter and they even swim forward now to see what I am doing( AT LEAST THATS WHAT I think) they are not hiding......you might reconsider real plants since I redid with real plants the neons stand out so much more!!!!!the real plants are not work at all...

bettabuddyq 10-09-2010 08:41 PM

Will have to re think the plants and maybe your right. I don't know. What type of real plants should i put into the tank if i decide to get some?

tanker 10-09-2010 09:54 PM

I thought real plants would be a disaster, but I started with just one and now all of my tanks (except for one of my betta tanks) have live plants. They are a little bit of extra work in that you have to cut the tops off things that have grown too high, and skim bits of plant off the surface, things like that, but otherwise they are useful because they help process the fish waste.

I had Brazilian pennywort in my 35-litre tank. You can float it or, if it is planted, it'll go up to the top and then spread across the top.

My attempt to give one of my bettas some tankmates did not end well (2 of the new fish, and then my betta, died). From now on, my bettas just live with an apple snail each. Therefore, I'd recommend quite a lot of plants so that everyone can hide, and that you have a backup plan in case they don't get along. (I'd suggest keeping your 5-gallon until you see how things go.)

bettabuddyq 10-09-2010 10:00 PM

What type and colour of substrate will i be using. Right now for the 5 gallon i am using river rocks and glass rocks. I like the look, but i terms of live plants i have a feeling it won't work. I have also read that tetras like the tank to be sorta dark. Some people recommend floating some plants in the tank at the top and using black coloured substrate for the bottom. Is that correct?

fish joey 10-10-2010 07:36 AM

Sorry cant find my plant list but all the plants I ordered were easy low light plants..(for the beginner)...As Tanker said very little to do and I have no algae issues... the tank seems super clean.....Cant advise on the Betta..yes dark would allow them to show up more and I guess they like it on the darkerside....

Byron 10-10-2010 06:34 PM

First on the neons: you are highly unlikely to see fry. This is not an easy fish to spawn when one tries, and unless you have perfect water conditions [check the fish profile for this info] it will not likely spawn on its own. And even if it did, like all characins they will readily devour the eggs as soon as they are laid if they are not somehow protected.

Fish profiles are under the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top, or you can click on the fish's name when it is shaded in posts [it will automatically shade if the name is identical to that in the profile, either common name or scientific name]. Example: Neon Tetra or Paracheirodon innesi.

Neons will be better in a dimly-lit tank, true. A dark substrate (black, dark brown, etc), lots of plants, bits of bogwood or branches, and floating plants to shade the overhead light. All this is mentioned in the profile, along with water parameters.

They are shoaling fish which means they need to be in a group, 6 would work in a 10g. But I do not suggest with a betta.

Betta splendens is a solitary fish that deserves its own tank (a 5g is ideal) with perhaps some bottom fish, snails, etc. Betta will eat neons naturally, and neons have been known to nip the fins of a betta. Putting such fish together is asking for trouble.

Byron.

bettabuddyq 10-10-2010 11:12 PM

Ok sounds good. Will probably get the new tank when i have plenty of free time to cycle it or when my Betta goes to fishy heaven. I know that sound cruel, but i don't have enough space for two tanks.

Spooki 10-11-2010 02:02 PM

If you get a fish with NTD frequent water changes are your best bet for preventing other fish from getting it. Like Ich, it forms a cyst outside the fish.

It's not terribly common, just carefully observe all the fish in the tank for white patches, abnormal muscle movements and degeneration of the blue stripe.

bettabuddyq 10-11-2010 07:18 PM

Sounds good and i would like to thank everybody who has helped me with this. Hopefully when i am able to get my new tank i will be able to post some photos. Thanks again!