Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Woke up and cardinal tetra was dead? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/woke-up-cardinal-tetra-dead-53344/)

Cutar 10-09-2010 06:41 PM

Woke up and cardinal tetra was dead?

Do you know why this could be at all? The readings on my tank are fine..the other two that are in there are fine as well as my platties. And he was a baby. Weird huh?

tanker 10-09-2010 11:05 PM

What is your water hardness and pH? Cardinal tetras like soft, acidic water, and platies like basic alkaline water. If you've got alkaline water, your cardinals won't do well. How long have you had them?

1077 10-10-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 489404)
What is your water hardness and pH? Cardinal tetras like soft, acidic water, and platies like basic alkaline water. If you've got alkaline water, your cardinals won't do well. How long have you had them?

+one

Cutar 10-10-2010 07:53 PM

Hardness is soft and ph is around 7.0

Spooki 10-10-2010 08:22 PM

Cardinals are pretty much all wild caught and more particular when it comes to water quality. Also if it was a new arrival at the pet store you purchased it from it could have likely died from stress.

Did you drip acclimate it?

Cutar 10-10-2010 09:05 PM

Yupp he was in the same bag as all the others.. I have had him for about a week

Spooki 10-10-2010 10:58 PM

It's possible he was the weakest in the bunch. They definitely like a slightly lower pH though, 5.0- 6.0 with peat filtration.

sik80 10-11-2010 04:57 AM

Cardinals are a shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 5, preferably more. The fact that you only had 3 (if i read your post correctly) and your water is a higher pH than they prefer is likely to have stressed the fish and may have contributed to its premature death

Byron 10-11-2010 04:10 PM

As has been mentioned, the cardinal tetra is a very soft acidic water fish. They should never be in the same tank as livebearers which are completely opposite in terms of their water parameters. There is no "middle ground" for either in my opinion, so they should not be in the same tank as one (or both) will suffer.

If you are not aware, we have a fish profiles section and many of the regularly-seen freshwater fish are included. Click on the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top of the screen to go to the profiles section, or in posts if the fish name is shaded it means the profile can be accessed directly by clicking on the name. There is information on suitable water parameters, numbers, tank sizes, compatibility, etc. for the fish in the profiles so you can research fish before acquisition and be sure of suitability.