Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   ID a fish in Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/id-fish-tropical-fish-hobbyist-magazine-53241/)

iheartmypitbull 10-08-2010 02:54 AM

ID a fish in Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine

So this is a question for all of you out there who read TFH magazine regularly. As I'm sure you know, there's always a ton of ads in it, but there's one ad in particular that I'm crious about. In the issue that just came out (November 2010) it's on page 100. The ad is for a place called Segrest Farms, and it's got a black clownfish on it as well as a pair of unidentified fish. I really like these fish and want to know what they are.

Their bodies are silvery, reminiscent of maybe a guppy or some tetra and their dorsal fins are round with red tips, the rest of their fins are long and black, and their tails look lyre shaped with red on the upper and lower edges.

Anyone have any thoughts on what these might be?
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 10-08-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartmypitbull (Post 488305)
So this is a question for all of you out there who read TFH magazine regularly. As I'm sure you know, there's always a ton of ads in it, but there's one ad in particular that I'm crious about. In the issue that just came out (November 2010) it's on page 100. The ad is for a place called Segrest Farms, and it's got a black clownfish on it as well as a pair of unidentified fish. I really like these fish and want to know what they are.

Their bodies are silvery, reminiscent of maybe a guppy or some tetra and their dorsal fins are round with red tips, the rest of their fins are long and black, and their tails look lyre shaped with red on the upper and lower edges.

Anyone have any thoughts on what these might be?
Posted via Mobile Device

They are Threadfin rainbows. Have kept these fish and they do best in groups of four females to each male, to get the fish to exhibit the vivid coloration . Females aren't as colorful as males , and in a tank without females,, the males don't exhibit as beautifully.
They appreciate planted aquariums with not too bright of lighting (think floating plants). They did well for me in moderately hard water but would I think ,prefer softer water than I kept them in. Also believe they would do better in temps not much above 76 degreeF.
They have very tiny mouths and throats ,so foods should be small enough for them to take. I crushed flake foods for them and they did well until heater malfunction and tank temp rose too high and they succumed.
They are quite expensive in my neck of the woods at aroung 9 US dollars a piece.