Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   white particles? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/white-particles-5323/)

solareclipsed 04-24-2007 11:24 PM

white particles?

I have a bunch of white particles floating in my aquarium and was wondering what it might be and how to get rid of it. I have run a diatom filter for about 3 days and it did help but it did not clear it up. I dont know what else to do. I have had several fish with what seemed to be dropsy and another fish die out of the blue and I dont know why. I have not checked my water levels yet but I will tomorrow. It is heavily planted with pressurized co2 injection. I have foam filters, ceramic rings and the white water polisher in my canister filter. I dont know if any of those could have anything to do with it so I am just naming what I can think of.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Gary

Mr.Todd 04-25-2007 12:27 PM

Could it possibly be mineral & deposits that came loose and are now suspended in the water?

Do a complete test on the water and post your results and that will probably help... Also how big are the particles?

Thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andyandsue 04-26-2007 07:15 PM

Ok, so you have a major set-up compared to me so I am risking sounding very unintelligent here... but could it be something as simple as a bacterial bloom or high phosphates? I had great success with a product called Algone. It can be used in a planted tank.

solareclipsed 04-26-2007 07:24 PM

It could be anything for as far as I know. Just cause it is a big setup doesnt mean I know alot about it. I just added alot of the stuff about 2 months ago and I am still learning about all the little stuff.
I like all comments and suggestions that way I can know what to look for.
THanks
Gary

tophat665 04-26-2007 09:17 PM

Particles like specks, or like really short threads? Last time I saw specks in my tank, aftr a couple days they lenthened a bit, and some research showed me that I had planaria. If that's what you have, cut your feedings in half and they'll go away.

solareclipsed 04-27-2007 01:07 AM

its just a bunch of little white specs. looks like dust in the water. and I dont feed alot anyways. I dont know but it doesnt seem to be hurting anything so I am not really worried about it.
Thanks
Gary

MattD 04-27-2007 07:30 AM

Sounds like a bacterial bloom. They can be real thick sometimes.

I've endured several and I once got rid of it in less than 24 hours by doing a major water change. After the water change, it seemed to clear up on its own.

Several weeks later I purchased a pack of Algone inserts, and it hasn't showed up since. Maybe cause of the weekly water changes too but the inserts will benefit the tank in the long run.

Andyandsue 04-27-2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solareclipsed
its just a bunch of little white specs. looks like dust in the water. and I dont feed alot anyways. I dont know but it doesnt seem to be hurting anything so I am not really worried about it.
Thanks
Gary

Yes Gary, that sounds like a bacterial bloom for sure. It looks fine from a distance, and then up close you can see all the little white specs. Do a water change (I did one almost daily to keep it at bay) and I highly recommend Algone. Once you add the Algone pouch you can slow down on the water changes.

I have to mention though, that I would be worried. Although bacterial bloom isn't considered a major threat it still represents an unhealthy water situation and should be cleared up before it escalates.