Tropical Fish Keeping banner

All my fish acting strange!!

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kitten_penang 
#1 ·
Ok, recently i was having an issue with slightly greenish water. So earlier this week, i went out and bought 2 new filters for my penguin 350 and a UV Sterilizer, also some 10000k lights (just cuz i wanted to).

Now all the fish are really skidish, when you walk by, they all freak out, and they all group together now. Also, my blood parrot and electric chiclid got into a full on fight, charging each other and the electric was also fighting with my goldfish (they used to be buddies). I think it has something to do with the UV sterilizer or the new 10000k lights.

Also, my large shrimp, is turning a pale color and his pinchers are turning a greenish blue??? He is also not eating.?????

Here are before and after pics of my tank.

Before...

After...

Here is the UV Sterilizer...

Let me know what u think...

See less See more
#2 ·
nice koi and yummy prawn... mmmmmmm....... jk but those prawns do taste good barbecued with butter and salt

#3 ·
10000k lights (just cuz i wanted to). ?????? a normal tank uses 6500k lighting and thats for planted tanks.how long do you keep the lights on in there and what are the water params?? try using another light and see if they go back to normal

#4 ·
I would be inclined to believe that the brighter lights are part of the reason your fish are on edge. Also, the change in color temps from what was probably original equipment soft-white 2700k to bright/cool white 10,000k may account for the change in appearance and stress reaction of some of the animals. I think the biggest issue is that now the appearance of the tank has changed, meaning you territorial cichlids will try to re-establish territories and the visibility has increased meaning the size of the territories will be larger. Some taller plants and decor should help to break up the visibility and settle the territory disputes faster. The shrimp is also more visible now so he has likely been getting chased and hunted by the fish. Lastly there are some stocking issues. You are keeping cold water and tropical fish in the same tank and cichlids and invertebrates in the same tank. I personally wouldn't keep the cold water fish in there and wouldn't put shrimp in with cichlids except as food.

#5 ·
Not only are goldfish cold water, but warm water speeds up their metabolism and makes them dirtier. The lower oxygenation is also a bit stressful too. Not to mention most cichlids like it on the hotter end of the tropical spectrum.

Also if I remember correctly, blood parrots like their water soft and acidic while electric blues like it hard and alkaline.

Regardless of light and water conditions it's unlikely they'd all get along all that much longer any way.

#7 ·
well looks like the new changes has all contribute in it's way to the problems in tha tank.try solving one by one till it gets balanced again

#10 ·
Um just because he lives in there does not mean he likes it. He has no choice since your the one that put him in there. I agree the light is to much and is stressing out the fish and shrimp and will cause you to have more alge. You need alot more plants that are tall to help divide the tank or the fights will get worse as the fish are matureing.

#12 ·
congrats on the find

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.