Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Lost one of my corydorus habrosus... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/lost-one-my-corydorus-habrosus-53182/)

Calmwaters 10-07-2010 09:11 AM

Lost one of my corydorus habrosus...

and its all my fault. They were all fine last night before I went to bed but this morning when I got up I looked in the tank and one of my little guys had got stuck under the internal filter and was dead. The filter was to close to the corner of the tank and he got stuck inbetween the tank wall and filter and could not get out. I feel awful that I did not realize it was close enough for thim to get wedged into but not be able to get back out. :-( I moved the filter up and over some that way theres plenty of room for them to go under or beside it now. Whats even worse is it is so hard to find these little guys around here so it will be hard to find one to replace him.

tanker 10-07-2010 09:15 AM

Oh, that's a shame. They are great little fish, aren't they?

Calmwaters 10-07-2010 09:18 AM

Yes I love all my corys the big ones and the little ones like these guys. They are so much fun to watch swimming all over the tank.

aunt kymmie 10-07-2010 09:24 AM

I'm sorry, Amanda. I too, have had a fish suffer due to an injury that was all my fault. It happens, luckily we learn from our mistakes. I have been looking for dwarf cories myself (so hard to come by) and have given up, since they are nowhere to be found in my neck of the woods. I'm sorry you lost him. :-(

Calmwaters 10-07-2010 09:44 AM

Thank you Aunt Kymmie. It took me a really long time to get these guys I looked for over a year and then just happened to go to a new small LFS here and found them I bought everyone she had. LOL Then a few months ago I was talking to a guy that works at the other LFS I like and he said he had 2 females that he was rehomeing because his male had died and he gave them to me because I only had 2 which gave me 4 now this take me back to 3. I just felt so awful when I seen him stuck there.

eileen 10-07-2010 10:05 AM

I'm so sorry you lost one of your cories. By posting what happened it will make others not make the same mistake. I also lost fish due to my own mistake also and it does make you feel really bad as it could have been prevented.

Kymmie, you can find dwarf cories at Aquatic warehouse. That is where I bought mine. They are always at the San Diego Tropical Fish auction sometimes. I think their is a breeder that raises them as I see 4-5 in a bag at the auction before the regular meetings. You really need to go to the November 14th big auction and join. The next meeting is this month on Oct. 10th. I will be going as I want to get baby angelfish from someone.

LisaC144 10-07-2010 10:30 AM

Sorry for your loss. sometimes we have to learn things the hard way, but a lesson learned nonetheless.

Eileen, how the heck do you go about finding auctions? I'd love to go to one if I can find one in my area.

eileen 10-07-2010 12:12 PM

Fish club/auction sites

I have a magazine subscription to Tropical Fish Hobbyist and in the back of the magazine is all the events and clubs you can join. This is a big list for all over the U.S.A even Canada and other countries are also listed like India,Italy,Mexico,Puerto Rico,Australia
www.tfhmagazine.com/resources/clubs/

Here are all the ones in Pennsylvania area

The aqarium club of Lancaster County www.aclc.us
The Bucks County Aquarium Society www.bcasonline.com
The Delaware County County Aquarium Society www.dcas.us
Erie Aquarium Society of Erie Pennsylvania ErieAquariumSociety : Erie Aquarium Society
Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society www.gpasi.org/index.html
Mason Dixion Reef Club www.mdreefclub.com
Pennsylvania Fish Culturist Association
The Philadelphia Area Reef Club
Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society www.homeofpapas.org

A couple of them did not have a website just e-mails. I'm sure you can Google it by the name and find it. You have to join to be able to bid at the auctions but the fee is really small for the whole year. I hope you find one of these clubs near you.

aunt kymmie 10-07-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 487736)
Kymmie, you can find dwarf cories at Aquatic warehouse. That is where I bought mine. They are always at the San Diego Tropical Fish auction sometimes. I think their is a breeder that raises them as I see 4-5 in a bag at the auction before the regular meetings. You really need to go to the November 14th big auction and join. The next meeting is this month on Oct. 10th. I will be going as I want to get baby angelfish from someone.

Ahem, do you not recall why I told you I wouldn't purchase from AW?? I won't post publicy and I'll remind you in a private email. ;-)
Count me in on the November auction, I will not miss it. I hope there are oddles & oddles of plant sellers there, and I pray, NO Discus sellers, lol. :lol:

I can't make the Oct. 10 meeting, as we are having our annual block party that day and I'm a huge part of that. I do alot of the setting up and breaking down, not to mention EVERYONE insists on coming over to see my fish. Which means I also have to get my house cleaned up very nicely before Sunday. :-(

LisaC144 10-07-2010 12:35 PM

Wow, Eileen!! AWESOME! Thanks for all the info and links. I live in Bucks County, so apparently I have one very close to me! How do you like TFH? I might subscribe to them as well. Thanks again!