Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Oh Lord - Seriously? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/oh-lord-seriously-53181/)

Angel079 10-07-2010 09:52 AM

Oh Lord - Seriously?

1 Attachment(s)
So hubby comes home from school last night with his jacket in a bundle, hands it to me and say's "Look what happened to my Jacket today"....Since its his fav one I'm thinking 'Great he ripped it, break out the sowing machine'....When this brown little bundle moves in there....

Some may remember me posting before with our famous 'drop off' town here....well here goes another 1lbs Chihuahua drop off in the industrial area, no homes for miles and needless to say we have freezing Temp's at night now here in TN.....

The pup is weened already, was starving, lucky girl I have puppy food at the house!

Now here's the problem, generally our family is a 'stray magnet' and that's fine; BUT I already have 2 dogs (12yrs Chihuahua and 6 months Border Collie) and I have a baby on the way myself (my first).

I want the best for the dog and I don't know if we should keep it or if I should try find it a good home around here (The supportive animal shelter in town said they won't take her, only if I pt her back out on the Rd and the rescue team finds her MAYBE - What the heck?? Hell no!)

What am I supposed to do??? And newbie mommy out there with 3 dogs herself, how's that working for you?

I HATE these creatures called people doing this to little puppies - Just remember what goes around comes around and I hope this one will hit you twice as hard!!!!!:evil:

tanker 10-07-2010 10:11 AM

What a little sweetie. If I were you, I'd advertise for a new home, and foster him in the meanwhile.

What kind of a shelter doesn't take lost dogs????? Send him out to get lost again, indeed!

Angel079 10-07-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 487701)
What kind of a shelter doesn't take lost dogs????? Send him out to get lost again, indeed!

Don't even get me STARTED on this "humane society" here in this town...they simply do not protect animals, I moved here little over 1.5 yrs ago, since then I easily had ~20 stray dogs, about equivalent cats and various other animals. ALL have been turned down by them saying "oh we're full" and left to US to figure out what to do. :evil:
Needless to say since I moved here my neighborhood is getting one pet (or 2) at a time at each house and I go around training puppies :-D I couldn't leave them out on the streets for the next Tuck or Coyote.....

aunt kymmie 10-07-2010 10:21 AM

Natalie, If I ruled the world you know exactly what I would do to the people who drop off animals with no disregard. I can't say what it is I would do to those people here on a public forum. If I did everyone here would think I was cruel and unusual and then I'd be stripped of my moderator status.

As far as what to do? You already know what I'm going to say. Keep him, I have three dogs, and it's not a problem. When Wade first brought home a dog that someone just dropped off out in the desert to starve my first thought was, "No way, not a third dog". I never wanted a third dog, now I can't imagine NOT having Skip, he is a great addition to my family.

I know that I'm not a "newbie" mom but I have alot going on in my life and would still be able to manage a third dog because I'm doing it. Obviously you like Chihuahuas since you already have one. This pup looks to be a purebred, he won't eat much and I bet Maxx is looking down and thinking to himself, "You, my friend, are one lucky dog!".
You have a while before you deliver to get the pup settled in and I bet Peanut will love having her very own squeak toy, lol. I'm thinking fate handed you a card that you've been looking for. You have a supportive husband and I think it'll all work out. JMHO.

Inga 10-07-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 487701)
What a little sweetie. If I were you, I'd advertise for a new home, and foster him in the meanwhile.

Sadly, our local shelter is the same way. Sheltering is going the way of big business. Our shelter turns away local dogs in need and then brings pups in from shelters out of state to sell. They say adopt but lets face it. It is becoming a "used pet store" any way you look at it. The adoption fee for these dogs is $250.00. Um, yeah, that is selling any way you look at it. So much for people trying to do right by the dogs. Cats is even worse, there are so many of them. I think they get put to sleep by the thousands here.

Aunt Kymmie... I agree 100% with everything you said.

Good luck, Angel. I think you will soon be a family of 5. I too have had 3 dogs during very stressful, busy times in my life. My current boy Oliver came to me right when I was diagnosed with Cancer and I had 2 dogs already. It was meant to be. He has proved to be the most wonderful dog anyone could ask for. I second the motion for keeping him.

Angel079 10-07-2010 10:31 AM

LOL yea I kinda joked about it last night, telling Maxx that I know I asked him for a 'sign' but to please not send EVERY stray in the county our way now :-)

No this gal is going to be SMALL, smaller then my Precious (she's a mix we believe).
The *other* drop off we adopted few weeks back (Mr Jiggles) he goes wanting to see what makes the squeaky sound like his toy and then once this lil one moves he RUNS like the devil is after him (and he's about 10x the size of the small pup) its too darn funny watching them! And Precious play's the whole mommy card, the lil one even tried to feed off of her last night LOL

Angel079 10-07-2010 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a good size comparison between Precious and the drop off puppy :-D

kaythenewbie 10-07-2010 10:35 AM

I live in a "dump zone" too. Makes me advocate spay and neutering pets everytime I see that box of adorable kittens or puppies dumped the ditch in front of my house. GRRR, how could anyone do that?! Chihuahuas are popular dogs. Try fostering it for a bit while you find an adopter. I'm sure you will find someone to love that cute puppy.

And Aunt Kymmie, I doubt everyone would think that what you would like to do to these creeps is cruel and unusual. I honestly bet, I'd be on your side. Personally, I'd like to box them up and dump them in a ditch myself.

aunt kymmie 10-07-2010 10:35 AM

It sounds to me like your already enjoying the new pup and it isn't putting a strain on the household. Maxx sent him your way but I will also have a talk with Maxx about a job well done but that he can now sit back, relax and enjoy the show! :-)

Angel079 10-07-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaythenewbie (Post 487716)
Personally, I'd like to box them up and dump them in a ditch myself.

Ya'll are sooo humane..... When I think about them kinda people....I think of the reasoning we have guns in the house here....

@Kym I'll sit down with Chris tonight and talk it over what we can do. If I adopt the pup out it would only be to people I know, meaning I know exactly what kinda home she's going to. I'd be too scared to give her up to a stranger who may not take proper care of her (eg not taking to the Vet, leaving outside in the snow soon etc)