Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Suggestions for 5 gall fresh??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/suggestions-5-gall-fresh-5317/)

drag 04-24-2007 08:42 PM

Suggestions for 5 gall fresh???

Hello,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me out on fixing up my new tank by giving me some suggestions. I just got an eclipse 5 gall. tank for my office, and I'm not really sure what to put in it.

I would really like variety and action in the tank so I was thinking about 4 long finned blue danios and 2 kuhli loaches, but is that too much for that small tank?

I also like dwarf gouramis, but one on those and a couple of algae eaters just sounds a little boring.

A dwarf puffer would be great, but very messy, and I can't see having a 5 gall tank for one 2 inch fish.

I've looked and looked online and just can't figure out anything for this small of a tank, but there's no way I can get a larger one (as it is I told my boss it was a 2.5 gall and she bought it! :D ) Any ideas or suggestions? (By the way the base water will be RO water which I can then treat depending on what the fish will need)

Thanks a lot!
Drag

Lupin 04-24-2007 09:00 PM

Welcome.:wave:

You can't have danios in a 5 gallons. They need swimming space to roam around and a 5 gallons does not provide sufficient room area for that. You might want a trio of male guppies or a betta.:) Both options can fit but this does not mean you can fit both.

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 09:02 PM

do it vivarium stile and put in some firebellied newts

drag 04-24-2007 09:03 PM

:oops: ooooohhhhh... And here I was thinking that the two loaches would be the problem.

Loaches and bettas are OK together? I just lost my betta Lilly after two years, that might be an option. :?

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 09:07 PM

go with a big school of khuli loaches ... like 9

drag 04-24-2007 09:09 PM

Thank you. You've both given me some ideas to play around with. I had thought about the vivarium, but while my boss is OK with fish I don't know if she'd agree to the salamanders.

Would adding a couple of inverts be pushing it? Maybe a snail, some ghost shrmp, or an african dwarf frog? My last betta LOVED my mystery snail (no joke, he would hover next to the snail staring at it until the snail rubbed under his chin with a feeler. I was beginning to wondering if I would end up with some sort of 'snish' or 'finail')

drag 04-24-2007 09:11 PM

Ooohhh, 9 loaches, can that be done in that small tank? that sounds great too!

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 09:13 PM

go for it ... u could do a small crab like a mosaic crab ... i hav 1 with a betta in my locker at school. dwarf frogs are fine 2. just give the crab his own little cave

fish_4_all 04-24-2007 09:44 PM

9 kuhli loaches in a 5 gallon tank is like packing sardines. They get up to 4 inches long and 2 of them would be too much for a 5 gallon tank. Anything with a crab is asking for the crab to make lunch out of your fish.

The best I can suggest for a 5 gallon would be 2-3 fancy guppies and maybe 3-5 shrimp. Maybe a betta with some shrimp but the betta will likely nip at them or even eat them. A betta with 1 loach could work but Kuhli need at least 3 to be happy and be less aggressive. Maybe a skunk botia but they have a reputation of being aggressive and fin nippers.

I would stick with small ornamental fish and some shrimp and maybe a snail or two and that is pushing it. I don't remember if the system you are talking about has a built in filter but if it does it will allow for a little more room for shrimp and/or snails. A small amount of Java moss would also give some hiding spots for the shrimp to be happy and possibly breed some.

Mr.Todd 04-25-2007 11:33 AM

Man do some awesome guppies! You can get amazing colors and if you put a few females in there you will have LOTS of guppies in no time! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: